Vacations...always a much needed break, always so much fun and for us...always a "story"!!
No matter where we go, there is always a "vacation story"...something went wrong, a mishap or just a really funny story. We have great memories of our crazy vacations. Thankfully they are just great memories and nothing worse.
The best story was many, many years ago when the girls were little (they're both in college now, so it was a long time ago). It was during our April vacation. We just wanted to drive some place close and take them to an amusement park. At the time, Six Flags in New Jersey was about a 6 hour drive for us from Rhode Island. I called and asked the park when they opened for the year and she said April 1st. Oh great, I thought...perfect.
To make a very long story short...
- drove 6-7 hours to New Jersey on Tuesday and stay in hotel about 15 minutes from the park
- woke up Wednesday morning and drove to Six Flags.
- "Wow, amazing there isn't any traffic getting to the park!!"
- first gate...big orange construction pillars
- second gate...big orange construction pillars
- third gate with security guard. I asked..."please tell me this park is open." Security guard.."No mame, the park is closed.
- "WHAT??? but I called and she said you opened April 1st"
- Security guard..."Oh, yes we opened April 1st, but just for Saturdays and Sundays until May, then it's opened during the week"
- Our daughters still say...remember when mommy put her head on the dashboard and cried and cried!!
- went back to the hotel and called every where. All parks on the east coast didn't open until May.
LATER THAT SAME DAY...
Make the second part of this story very short.
- called our hotel's travel agent and booked a flight to Disney
- drove 2 hours to Newark airport
- missed our flight
- arrived in Disney at 11:00 pm Wednesday night
- stayed at the Polynesian Hotel
- spent all day Thursday in Magic Kingdom (girls had the BEST time)
- flew back to New Jersey Friday afternoon
- drove back to Rhode Island
Money spent in New Jersey...$300.00
Two day trip to Disney...$2000.00
Memories to last a lifetime...PRICELESS
Spur of the moment things for your children, even when you really couldn't afford it. Lol !!!
What's your vacation "story"???