Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Tool Time Tuesday...Washer Bracelet

Hi everyone!! So glad you've stopped by for another Tool Time Tuesday. This project is truly a "tool time" from the hardware store.

Today we are making this adorable bracelet (modeled by my daughter Kelsie!). Believe it or not, this bracelet is made from washers. It was fast and easy too. I think I made this in under 15 minutes. 



Most hardware stores have a section in the nuts and bolts aisle where they sell these baggies. In Home Depot, these baggies are only 98 cents each.


There are many different styles of washers. These washers that look like flowers are called lock washers.


This package is a number 6. The smaller the number, the smaller the size of the washer. Each baggie has 20 washers in it for 98 cents. What a great price compared to a craft store for some jewelry supplies.


Here's what they look like out of the bag...


and here's a close up.


I also used jump rings to connect the washers, because the washers don't open up and need to be connected with something. I also used a lobster claw clasp.








First step is to use 2 needle nose pliers to carefully open up the jump ring.


I added one small washer and one large one.


Close up the ring.


Here are the 2 washers.


I kept on adding a jump ring and then alternated one large washer and one small washer until the bracelet fit my wrist.


On one end, I added the lobster claw clasp.


and at the other end, I added one jump ring to close with the clasp.


Very fast and easy.


and stylish too!


These would be great summer time craft projects for older children and great gifts too. Just think of the possibilities...earrings, necklaces etc. Add pretty beads in between for color too.

Remember our Tool Time promise...don't tell the hardware people we use these washers for craft projects or they'll raise the prices on us. Shhhhh...it's our little secret.

Have a wonderful Tuesday,
~Karen~

don't forget to pop over to my Sunday party post...Sew Darn Crafty. So many wonderful projects for you to just click on a visit! Lots of inspiration!

18 comments:

  1. You are amazing!!!!!!! How do you think up this stuff? So, so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh...and what if one add a few fun charms also? Or a buttons? I LOVE your idea!! Thank you for sharing!!

    Deb from clutteredquilter.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband is always amazed that I enjoy roaming the aisles at HD. You never know what you might see. This is an adorable bracelet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Soooo cute, I will have to remember this for the Young Women....thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love your blog. You are so wonderful at getting us all thinking outside of the box and bringing crafters and quilters together. I love that you share and encourage others to share. You are at the top of my list for blog reading. Thanks for all you do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea! I am filing this one away for when my granddaughter visits later this summer...

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a cute idea! I am going to show this post to my daughter since she loves to make her own jewelry. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Too dang cute Karen...and so easy.
    Heck if you ever need a lock washer
    just take a link out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very cute!Imagine to possibilties!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I make jewelry & love to use "found" objects. This is too perfect. See a lot of them in my future! (and my family's & friend's) Love your brain!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Second thought! How about a ring or 2 of dangles in the same nut? Flashy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are contagious!!

    I found myself in the hardware store the other day in the electrical aisle, I was getting a cord protector for the extension cord that is going across the floor in the new quilting room. Yes finally getting it set up!

    But as I was looking thru the aisle, I was seeing things, and thinking "Hmm whonder what else I can use this?"

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amazing again. Back to the hardware store. They know me now thanks to you.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  14. I got the stuff for this today and I was thinking about adding more chains and maybe some pearls to it. Thanks for sharing this wonderful project with us :O)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment...I just love hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails