Saturday, November 15, 2014

Turn a Kitchen Towel into an Adorable Pillow...

Hi everyone! I'm doing a little Christmas decorating early in our daughters' rooms, because we have guest staying in there over the holidays. I can do it early because…1) the girls are on their own now and 2) no one will see it right now and think I'm a looney for putting up trees this early!! Lol I'm not done with the trees yet, but I have done a little sewing. I'll show the full room when I'm finished.

I found awesome kitchen towels in TJ Maxx. They were the perfect color red that I'm using to decorate one of the rooms. When I saw the towels, I knew they were going to be pillows and wall hangings. Here's how the pillows turned out!

Kitchen Towel Pillows made in one minute…

kitchen towel pillow

This literally took a minute to make….fold and sew 2 lines of stitching!!

This is the towel.

kitchen towel pillow

Only $2.99!!

kitchen towel pillow

I know all towels and their designs will be different, but this is just a generalized tutorial.

kitchen towel pillow

Place the towel design side up on and fold up the bottom to the middle of the towel.

kitchen towel pillow

Now take the top end and overlap the bottom hem 1-3 inches according to where your design is on the front. Just make sure your design is centered on the front of the pillow

Pin the left and right sides only.

kitchen towel pillow

I sewed just inside the factory stitch line of the seam. Sew the left and right sides only, leaving the overlapping flaps open.

Turn pillow right side out and iron!

You're done…the pillow will slip into the case through the overlapping flap. If the back of the case opens up, you can always stitch a couple ribbons to each flap and tie it closed.

kitchen towel pillow

I love this and the color is perfect.

kitchen towel pillow

The red pillow sham was from our old bedroom set and the gray chevron pillow was from Kelsie's room.

The coffee filter wreath was an easy tutorial too. Click HERE to see that.

kitchen towel pillow

Here are 3 more towels that I bought. I am going to make these into wall hangings for that room.

Tutorial to follow soon!!

kitchen towel pillow

These would also make great pillows.

kitchen towel pillow


kitchen towel pillow

So, if you're looking for an easy sewing project, hop over to the kitchen section of your nearest store!!

Thanks for stopping by,
~Karen~

Pin It

18 comments:

  1. Having a hard time leaving a comment. I think Google was acting up. Not sure.
    Your pillow is awesome. Love it.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great idea!!! Just wish I could find pretty Christmas towels like you have but I'll keep an eye out. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to learn how to think out of the box when I go shopping. Great ideas. I can hardly wait to see the wall hangings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like I am on the hunt for tea towels!! ANOTHER great toot!! Thanks, Karen!!
    P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Luv these! What size form did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea! I'm home shopping next week so will look out for some xmassy tea towels. Thanks xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely idea. You found some fantastic towels. Thanks for sharing. g

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea. I have a French towel and couldn't decide if I wanted a bag or a pillow.
    Thanks for the inspiration.
    You always have great ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great idea, thanks for sharing! The pillow looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're so brilliant! I think I'll have to have DIL check for towels when she's out shopping!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are so cute!!! I love making things out of kitchen towels. I have made curtains from them, seat cushions. So many possibilities.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How cute! Will be looking for tea towels. Thanks for the tutorial.
    Blessings
    Tonia

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the way you get so much done! Love your pillow idea.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I absolutely LOVE this! Very cute towels too! Did you already have a pillow to fit inside this pillowcase? If you did, what size was it so I can have a general idea. Thanks!
    Hugs,
    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Karen I'm so glad you posted this...we went to England and Ireland this summer and everywhere I went I bought tea towels. I've been wondering how to use them and this is a great idea! Blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  16. Perfect! I was at the Magnolia store (Fixer Upper on HGTV) and they had pillows like this for $35 each. I would much rather make one.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this idea. So cute and easy and fast. For those of you that do not have a form to fit your pillow, I have found a cheap and easy way to make one. Buy WalMart's cheapest bed pillow--around $2.50. Cut it open and remove filling. Lay your pretty tea towel pillow in one sewn corner of the fabric of the WM pillow. Mark the corners and cut out, allowing a 1/4 seam allowance on the sides that are not already sewn. Turn wrong side out and sew those two sides leaving a space for filling. . Turn right side out and fill your form. Sew up the opening with a zigzag close to the edge. Zig on and zag off the pillow and your seam will pull flat. Insert into your pretty tea towel pillow and you're done.
    Note: Each of those WM pillows will fill 2 or sometimes 3 pillows.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment...I just love hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails