Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Easy Handmade Clothespin Snowflake Ornaments...

I'm still on the Christmas crafting craze and making more ornaments. Maybe I'm being nostalgic and missing my daughters, but keeping busy keeps my mind busy! Remember last week's post about a red and gray themed tree and handmade ornaments? You can click HERE if you missed it. I want the tree to have a Scandinavian feel, but we'll see how far I get! Lol.

This is my latest craft to add a natural wood element to the tree…

Clothespin Snowflake!!

diy clothespin snowflake ornament


For the tree, I'm using gray felt, red burlap, yarns, natural wood and berries. I just love the textures.

handmade ornaments

Here are some of the things I already made…the yarn balls will be made into a garland, but I still need to buy wooden beads to separate the yarn balls. The others are felt ornaments and a letter to Santa. Click HERE for those.

handmade ornaments

They are so easy to make…just clothespins, hot glue and only takes 10-15 minutes to make.

diy clothespin snowflake ornament

Heat up your glue gun and let's get started…

One snowflake takes 8 clothespins. If you have a basket of random clothespins like I do, just pick 8 that are about the same size.

You can also buy a package of new clothespins super cheap. Just make sure they are the pins that have the metal spring in the middle, not the kind that squeeze on.

I always craft with hot glue…low temp guns are my favorite. They don't burn your fingers as badly as the hot temp guns. When you're crafting, you're always touching and squeezing things together, so low temp glue is the best. Regular liquid glue will work too, but hot glue dries instantly so you can move on to the next step within seconds.

diy clothespin snowflake ornament

First, take the clothespins apart by sliding the wooden pieces off the metal spring.

diy clothespin snowflake ornament

Take the pieces and glue the sections together on the flat side.

diy clothespin snowflake ornament

Like this…

diy clothespin snowflake ornament

Make 8 glued sections.

diy clothespin snowflake ornament

Now, take 4 sections and glue them together.

diy clothespin snowflake ornament

You will just glue them in the 4 arrowed sections

diy clothespin snowflake ornament

Next, you will add the last 4 sections and hot glue in place.

diy clothespin snowflake ornament

You can also hot glue a string to the back of one of the clothespins, so you can hang it on the tree or just leave it as is and add it to your Christmas packages for a cute decoration or tucked in and around your house.

If you want a sparkly snowflake, cover the wood with white glue and sprinkle with glitter!!

diy clothespin snowflake ornament

Happy Christmas crafting!!

Thanks for stopping by,
~Karen~

Pin It

12 comments:

  1. Such a creative idea for beautiful snowflakes! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could see a touch of red yarn going from the center out to each hole in the spokes to get a touch of red in there. Cute idea! I am gathering ideas to do with my grandson and this just might be simple enough for a 4 year old with my help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am going to make these with my 4 yr old daughter. I will do the hot glue and she can paint them and add glitter. This might be good for a Frozen party. You can buy the clothespins at the Dollar Tree.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And you could drill a little hole through one of the spokes of the flake and now you can easily add a sting and have it hanging where ever you want!! This is cute!!
    I used to make my girls an ornament every year so when they moved out, they would/will have ornament for their own tree!! This one is cute and very easy!
    thanks for sharing this idea with us!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shut the front door. I TOTALLY made a crap ton of these today. I had a bucket full of vintage clothes pins that I saved from going to a dumpster. They were so fun, I couldn't stop. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very clever!!!! Love them!! Will definitely do a craft with the little ones this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How cute! My theme for my tree this year is homemade and this is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow! These are just fabulous and the kiddos have decided that we will make these for our hand out ornaments this year. Thank you so much for the tut.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I love this idea and i have so many clothespins!!! My daughter will enjoy making some of these too! Thank you!
    Hugs,
    Jo
    xox

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment...I just love hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails