Saturday, January 11, 2014

Computer Desk...Turned Beverage Cabinet

Hi everyone! You know thrift stores are my favorite to find interesting things, especially furniture. I found this computer cabinet and I love it for so many reasons. It was already painted black to match other furniture in the house, it's great for storage and the best part…it was $30!!

I put it in the dining room, because that corner needed a larger piece of furniture and my daughter Courtney need a place for her computer. However, she moved her computer up to her room, so now I have a great space to store "stuff"!!

Our dining room is off the kitchen and is really not formal at all, so this cabinet can be used for just about anything at all.

computer desk turned beverage cabinet

Come in and see what I did…

I thought the best thing to store in here is all the beverages we drink or serve to friends and family. Cans and bottles can really steal space from your refrigerator and pantry.

computer desk turned beverage cabinet

I used a small college dorm refrigerator to keep things cold and the shelves for storing the cases of water bottles and cans of soda and iced tea.

computer desk turned beverage cabinet

The top shelf, where the computer screen would be, holds the refrigerator and cases of water.

computer desk turned beverage cabinet


computer desk turned beverage cabinet


computer desk turned beverage cabinet

The pull out key board tray holds napkins for dinner.

computer desk turned beverage cabinet

It's the perfect spot in the room for easy access during dinner and saves space in my refrigerator for food!

computer desk turned beverage cabinet

The key to thrift store shopping, getting furniture from family or friends or even buying new from stores is to "think outside the box".

Don't always use the piece of furniture for it's original purpose. If you think outside the box, your options are endless!!

Update…there were a few questions about ventilation for the refrigerator in a closed cabinet. The cabinet is originally a computer desk, so there were pre-cut holes already in the back for air flow for the computer, but I did make those holes larger and closer to the back of the refrigerator. The shelf and area the refrigerator is on is much larger than the refrigerator, so the flow of air is great. We haven't had any issues. If your space is tight around the sides of your refrigerator, please vent more in the back. 

Thanks for stopping by,
~Karen~

Pin It

42 comments:

  1. Love it, now I wish I had a corner to use something like this in. Great idea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice idea, like how nice it looks in the room and functional.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so cool! Creative!!!! And looks fantastic!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is such a useful idea. The cabinet looks great and the surprise is the inside that holds something totally unexpected.
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  5. A great idea, brilliant in fact. It's so much more satisfying being thrifty and recycling old furniture etc for other uses isn't it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow...that turned out great. Really nice looking piece.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea Karen. I have a computer armoire that is no longer needed for it's original purpose. I'll have to think 'outside the box' for another use.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is great for grabbing something to drink. Also it is extra special because it fits the small fridge perfectly. And, having followed your blog for a awhile I wouldn't be surprised to see it turned into another useful piece of furniture in your home somewhere else in the distant future ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is fantastic! Such a great space saver and it looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks great! Love that this can store so much :)

    Zoe
    http://thatszoe.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are AMAZING!!! Love this!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Do you want to come decorate my house? Yours always looks so nice and inviting.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A very good idea. I agree with 'thinking outside the box', especially when it comes to thrift shopping. I just bought a pot/utensil hanger for the kitchen that I intend to use in the garden.
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is a great idea - very clever! I am not so good at thinking outside the box, but I'm great at finding people with great ideas! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very creative! It looks perfect there!

    Val

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hallo , i am liesbet for' antwerp Belguim. I love your interieur but i have na ode questionn the dining chadors to they have a name and where die you buy the' love them love your blog and pinterest

    ReplyDelete
  17. Little misstaken i see i come from Antwerp

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great idea! :) It looks great and is so useful!

    Marti

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very Clever and Creative and it's attractive to boot! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Another classic and practical piece added to your unique collection Karen. I am wondering when we are going to see you with your own spot on TV??!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think that's the best repurposing of something I've ever seen !

    ReplyDelete
  22. What an absolutely fabulous idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. THIRTY dollars?! I'd say that was the deal of the day. And how awesome that the little fridge fits in there. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Karen, leave it to you to come up with another awesome storage idea! I think I might try and reproduce it since I have the same problem with too many drinks in the fridge!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I was wondering if the frig puts off much heat? Was there already a hole for wiring? Was that also enough for ventilation? I have been looking for one of these types of cabinets but have not run across one yet that I felt was worth what they were asking. My plans were actually to use it for a computer cabinet but I really like your idea. I never have enough space in the kitchen for everything especially when we entertain. This would also keep traffic out of the kitchen while preparing food. As already mentioned you have such wonderful storage ideas. Now I just need to put some of them to use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nancy,
      The cabinet was originally a computer desk, so there were pre-cut holes already in the back for air flow and for all the plugs for the computer, but I did make those holes larger and closer to the back of the refrigerator for better air flow.

      Delete
  26. How very creative. I just painted (again) a chest that was from hubby's Great Aunt. It has been in the nursery, in the breakfast room and now in our dining room. Will be measuring SOON to see if an itty bitty fridge will fit in the hanging area!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I really love this idea and the way it turned out! I can't tell you how many times I have passed by an old computer or RV cabinet while thrifting lately. The next time I do, I am going to check out the price and remember this. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Awesome! And can I just add that I LOVE how CLEAN your home always looks? Said by a Mommy of three VERY young boys. (This too shall pass, I KNOW.)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great repurposing idea! I too am wondering about the heat from the refrigerator...or do you just use it when you have a crowd over and leave the hutch doors open?

    ReplyDelete
  30. Another great idea! I love your blog, I am very new at blogging and find your blog buddy page very helpful! I just linked up to your link party, my first one. I tried grabbing one of your buttons on the side to add to my blog but I could not copy your code? I did however add you to my blog's that I read so folks can get to your blog from there! Thanks for all of your helpful hints!

    ReplyDelete

  31. Hi,
    I like the way you written the post.
    You have very nice collections and all the images are very clean to optimize ...
    We have best collections of wooden computer tables.
    Thanks for sharing such nice post...

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hey. It is a very good post to be commented. Well it seems to be seen that sometimes the computer desk turn into beverage cabinet. If need more help on computers then have a look to..
    custom pcs

    ReplyDelete
  33. Copying your idea for our game room above our garage. Using an old TV cabinet, because I have some constraints on the height. Had to rally hunt around to find one with doors but finally did. Thanks for the idea. Unfortunately ours wasn't already black but my husband is painting it for me! Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love this idea so much. I'm looking now at a pile of drinks, water bottles soda etc just sitting on the dining room floor waiting for space in the fridge or pantry. I have to do this!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment...I just love hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails