Monday, December 2, 2013

Re-Use Decorations…Sugared Fruit Hydrangea Christmas Tree

Let the decorating begin!!! I have been collecting decorations for all of my adult life. I always shop throughout the year for different things to use for Christmas and I definitely shop after Christmas sales. My favorite way to decorate the house is to "re-use" things I already have, but in a different way!

For the past few years, I have always used my collection of sugared fruit at the end of the railing of our staircase. I've had all this fruit for years and years and add to it from thrift stores or consignment shops.

Here is a picture of the stairs…

sugared fruit hydrangea Christmas tree

Here is the tree I finished this morning with all the fruit used for ornaments.

sugared fruit hydrangea Christmas tree

Come in and see how I used dried hydrangea for filler!

Remember the post I did on how to dry hydrangea? You can click HERE for that.

dried hydrangea

I used the dried flowers to tuck into the tree as a filler.

sugared fruit hydrangea Christmas tree

Great color for the season…

sugared fruit hydrangea Christmas tree

and wonderful texture too.

sugared fruit hydrangea Christmas tree


sugared fruit hydrangea Christmas tree

I used a roll of sage colored ribbon I bought at Michael's Craft store for a garland.

sugared fruit hydrangea Christmas tree

I even added some twigs I cut from a tree in the yard for added dimension.

sugared fruit hydrangea Christmas tree


sugared fruit hydrangea Christmas tree


sugared fruit hydrangea Christmas tree

The sparkle from the sugared fruit is a nice contrast with the natural element from the dried flowers.

sugared fruit hydrangea Christmas tree


sugared fruit hydrangea Christmas tree

The order of how I decorated the tree…

  • lights
  • dried hydrangea
  • ribbon or garland
  • sugared fruit
  • twigs
  • tree skirt

The tree skirt is a tutorial I did years ago. It's made from a fleece blanket and is a super easy NO SEW project that only cost $2.50 to make. Click HERE to see how.

no sew tree skirt


Happy decorating!
~Karen~


Pin It

16 comments:

  1. As a Bah Humbug , to my amazement I really like this

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, your tree is lovely. I've used poinsettias before on my tree but never thought of of using hydrangeas. They look so pretty. I've got plenty but not in that pretty green color.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have started right on time for most, the tree looks great and so does the surger fruit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mother-in-law has always used hydrangeas on her elegant yet rustic style Christmas trees. They are a beautiful touch.
    I have the glassy pears like your apples and a couple coveted grape clusters too. They are the special ornaments on my tree getting the prime spots.
    You have done a great job on this tree and your stair post looks so nice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is absolutely STUNNING!!! Every bit of it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love those sugared fruits and the twigs add yet another woodsey dimension--just lovely...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is gorgeous! I really like the natural look eventhough lots of it is plastic!
    Esther
    esthersipatchandquilt@yahoo.com
    ipatchandquilt.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely! I love what you have done, so pretty.
    I just posted on my blog my decorating adventures, I made a pinecone garland.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your decorating amazes me. I wish you lived in California. I'd hire you to decorate my home. You have an awesome eye for elegance.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't wait for your whole house post. It's my favourite every year.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the fruit on your tree!! It reminds me of my vintage bottle brush trees with fruit on them. I never thought of doing a large tree to mirror my bottle brush trees on the mantle!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Karen Your tree is beautifully different!!! I love it!!!! Love the hydrangeas!!!! Nice touch!!! I need to do something different this year too!!! Have a great week!!!
    Love
    AMarie

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOVE LOVE LOVE IT! and great that you are using decorations differently this year. I will have to plant some hydrangeas I think in my new home. looking for ideas for the garden. hmmmm.......

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your blog and your ideas are just wonderful.
    I used to decorate several trees in different themes but now I only do a couple.
    I love Christmas decorating but I hate all of the work putting it away.
    I once decorated a tree in white lights and all dried flowers. I had seen this done at a charity Christmas Tree auction and it makes a stunning display.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your tree is lovely, especially with the addition of the hydrangea flowers. I always feel so guilty when I trim the flowers in the fall and throw them away.. Now I have a reason to dry them and repurpose them. Looking forward to seeing your house tour next week. Have fun decorating Karen.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment...I just love hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails