Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Tool Time Tuesday...No Sew Tree Skirt for $2.50

Hello everyone! Welcome back to another edition of Tool Time Tuesday. I knew that title would grab you...no sew and $2.50...can't beat that! The $2.50 is for the fleece blanket that makes a wonderful tree skirt for Christmas and the left over scraps will make a stocking too!






Here is the bargain I found at Walmart for the fleece. This set of 2 fleece throws was only $5.00. I wish it came with 2 solid throws, but cheapskates can't be choosers.


Dig through your trimmings...ric rac, appliques, ribbons, buttons etc. The extras can be sewn on, but hot glue them to keep it in the "No Sew" department.


Here is the "tool" in the Tool Time Tuesday...



String taped to the end of a pen = a poor man's jumbo compass. This is how we are going to make a perfect circle!



First, lay out the blanket in a single layer.



I folded the right side over to the left (fold will be on the right).



Then I folded the bottom edges up to the top (one fold will be on the bottom and two folds on the right). The next step will start in the upper right hand corner of this picture.



The upper right hand corner looks like this.



Take your make shift compass (pen with string tied to it) and place the pen on that upper right hand corner.


I know what you're thinking...why isn't she taking the cap off the pen. Well, it took a few times for my husband and I to get the picture right, so if I had the cap off there would have been an ink spot the size of a quarter!



Next, you are going to place the string end on the Lower Right corner, which looks like this.



Your finger will keep the string at this point and you will only move the pen, pivoting from this lower right corner.



Pinch the string on the lower right and move the pen across the fabric in a semi circle.



Make the motion first before actually using the pen. Hubby recommended taping the string to a piece of chalk if you are nervous about using a marker.



Can you see the dent I made in the fabric with the pen cap...just make sure of your motion before you use the pen.


Now here is the actual marking.



Easy peasy!



Cut through all thicknesses along the line.



Here is a picture of the left over scraps...do you see what I see? Looks like a Christmas stocking to me.



Ok, back to the tree skirt. I was excited over the scraps there for a second. If you think about it...there are 4 layers of fleece in those scraps, which means 2 stockings plus the tree skirt. So $2.50 divided by 3 things is 83 cents each. Woo Hoo!!!

I digress...Now back to the lower right corner, where you pinched the end of the string...place a pin there to mark the center.



Center marked!



Now unfold to a semi circle. Cut on the fold, but only up to the pin in the center.






Here is the section cut open.



Open to a full circle.



This next section is to cut the hole in the middle for the tree trunk. We have artificial trees, so the "trunk" is skinny. I used a cap from a canning jar. Adjust to your tree size.



Trace directly over the center.



Cut out the circle.



I measured the distance across. It's a great size.



The fleece throw that I purchased was 50 inches x 60 inches, which gave me a skirt 48 inches across.



Now time to embellish 'til your hearts content. Jumbo ric rac...sew on or hot glue.



Fleece snow flake appliques that I had and never used. Didn't have enough to go all the way around, so I need to buy more of those. This is the true color of the tree skirt...not sure why the camera is showing 8 million different shades of green throughout this post.







No, I don't have a tree up yet. Just pulled out the bottom section of a pre-lit tree for the picture...all in the name of blogging right?





Not that this post wasn't picture heavy enough, I really wanted to show you how to make a stocking from the scraps. There are tons of patterns on the Internet, but I just traced a stocking I already had.



Cut out and sew around all sides except the top.



I used a 1/2 inch seam allowance. Turn stocking right side out.



Now take another piece of the scraps...I used the edge that had the blanket stitching. All the work is already done for you!



Determine how long you want the cuff to be and cut.



Measure the width of the top of the stocking and add a 1/2 inch seam allowance.



My cuff was folded on one side, so I only needed to sew one side. Adjust to your scraps.



Sew with 1/2 inch seam and turn right side out.



Now, both pieces should be RIGHT side OUT. Take the cuff and put it inside the stocking with the finished edge (blanket stitching) of the cuff on the inside.



Match your seams. If you have it correctly, the RIGHT side of the cuff should be against the WRONG side of the stocking.



Pin and sew with 1/2 inch seam.





Pull out the cuff and fold over the stocking.



Tah Dah another easy one.



If you don't have enough fleece for the cuff you can always use fabric or cotton batting. Warm and Natural Cotton batting looks great for a cuff.



Here are a few ways to decorate your stocking.














Have fun with your tree skirt and stocking...remember to think outside the box. If you can't find a fleece blanket, how about a round table cloth. Most table cloths are 60" - 70" inches around and they're already hemmed. That's another perk with fleece...no hemming because it doesn't fray! Another tip is actually in a hardware store...you knew you'd end up there on a Tuesday right! Go to the paint section and buy a drop cloth. It's a great heavy weight muslin perfect for this project and the smaller size is only about $10.00.
space
Thanks for stopping by and if you didn't see Sunday's post click here. I'm having a recipe linking party that you are all invited to.
space
Have a wonderful Tuesday,
~Karen~
space

37 comments:

  1. Super cute, super easy, it's a no sew project! (You could use fabric glue on the stocking!) I think I hear sleigh bells.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen todo está muy bonito y no se vé complicado de hacer. Tienes unas ideas geniales y todo lo explicas muy bien. Un besote

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did exactly what you said in that last paragraph - I bought a round 60" tablecloth on clearance after Christmas a few years ago (I think I paid all of $1.50 for it). I simply cut a line into the center. Didn't bother to sew the cut edges, no one will see it under the back of the tree and it's poly so it won't fray. I was so proud of myself....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karen, you're an amazing genius!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My daughter is going to love this as much as I do! she is still quite the "no sew" girl....and the cost of this project is right up my alley LOL. Super cute tute!! Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE that jumbo ric rac! I used some of my Ryco ric rac this week, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can I just say... that you are so awesome. I love seeing what you come up with everyday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Luv it... you are so talented
    thanx for The Tool Time Tuesday the are awesome...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks so much for sharing. I need to make stockings for my two grandchildren, so this will be perfect and so easy. I'm heading to Wal-Mart to see what they have.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so totally doing this!! I have been using scrunched up cheap Walmart Christmas fabric under my tree for the past few years...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have found that my old tablecloths make great tree skirts;)

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Te ha quedado muy bonito, y el paso a paso se entiende muy bien, gracias por compartirlo!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am loving this! It's even simpler than the Thanksgiving wallhanging about which I have posted the past two days. I really like the snowflakes. Where did you find them?

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is a great idea Karen! Very fast and easy to do! I actually have in my stash a special panel I both to make a tree skirt, I hope I get around to it this year! :))

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Place mat Karen turns tree skirt Karen. Wow your
    ideas are endless. Do you stay awake on Monday
    nights thinking of what you will post on Tue.?
    Your ideas are always soooo good. Your getting
    us motivated.":O)

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is one of your best ideas! I just saw these yesterday at Walmart and it is a great use for them. Probably even cheaper than the fleece throw 'kits' they had in their fabric section.
    Much more interesting purchase than the paper towels and tissues I came home with :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Forever indebted to you for this!! i don't know why I didn't think of this last year. I couldn't afford a tree skirt that I liked, so I just took an OLD FLEECE THROW out of the closet that we NEVER USE and wrapped it around the trunk. Hmm, now what did I do with that blanket?

    ReplyDelete
  18. So very cute...thanks so much for the great tute!! I am going shopping tomorrow!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Such a great, inexpensive way to dress up the tree. I love to get quick ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Now, this was such a great post. The use of the "homemade" compass gives you an A+!!!! Beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Just found you through Twitter and love how easy this looks but you look like you enjoyed it so much how about making another one, lol!

    Now I need to see what other fun things you've been up to!

    New follower!

    http://1funkywoman.blogspot.com

    Megan

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is an AMAZING project!! I might even be able to do it! Thanks for the fabulous tutorial! Super easy!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. So cute and affordable!! I just love your Tool Time Tuesday ideas!

    Amy
    www.crazyforthecountry.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. I loved this. I emailed it to my mother in law and two sisters before realizing I had to share it with all my readers!
    http://honeybeebzz.blogspot.com/2010/11/sew-many-ways-shows-us-great-tree-skirt.html

    Thanks! Going to Walmart this weekend. Will check this out! Love the jumbo ric rac!

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a great post! It doesn't get easier or cheaper than this, I'm definitely going to pass this one around (giving you all the cred, of course!), thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. super cute idea. i love it. it would be so cute to put your last name on it - or do it for a gift.

    ReplyDelete
  27. this is a great idea!!! So glad you shared this, tree skirts get really expensive.
    lifeofperks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh wow, I love it and needed a tree skirt. Here's my easy answer. Thanks!!

    You (and hubby) did a good job w/ the pics. Easy to understand!

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is so great! Thanks for sharing!! I'll be heading to Wal-Mart soon to pick out a blanket I like!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thank you for sharing this. It is such a great idea for something you only use for a short time each year.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi Karen. What a clever idea - This looks fantastic! Great job! Thanks so much for joining the Sunday Showcase - I greatly appreciate it. I have featured this today - stop by and grab a featured button if you like. Hope you have a fabulous week ~ Stephanie Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  32. I need a tree skirt. What awesome ideas. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  33. Oh my goodness, that is so cute, quick and easy! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I was just looking at my tree skirt thinking I need one but didn't want to spend a fortune! Thanks!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I just made this and I'm so happy! Thanks for the clear instructions and inspiration for this craft-challenged person :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment...I just love hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails