Thursday, August 1, 2013

Organizing Ideas For Rolls of Paper...

Do you know what happens when you clean and organize a room or an area in your home...you find out that you have bought multiples of something!

I just found out I have 3 rolls of freezer paper and 2 rolls of Heat and Bond. If I had them out where I could see them, I would have saved some money. Here's my solution for where to store rolls of crafting paper where I can see it, but still out of the way.

In the legs of my fabric cutting table...

organizing rolls of paper

The other legs has all my ribbon. Click HERE to see that post.

organizing rolls of paper

There are more tips and tricks, so pop in to see...

I had these 2 drawers left over from our kitchen remodel, so I just stored them in the leg area of my table to get them out of the way, knowing I would find something to do with them. Ahh...tension rod space!!

organizing rolls of paper

They fit perfectly. I just stacked them on top of each other.

organizing rolls of paper

This idea would work great for you if the legs of your table aren't wide enough to support the tension rods.

You can use old drawers, wooden boxes or even a small shelving unit that might fit between the legs.

organizing rolls of paper

Tension rods are about $1.50-$3.00, depending on the size you need.

Just slip the rod through the rolls and adjust the rod to fit.

organizing rolls of paper

Now for the next tip to label your rolls so you can tell what's what.

organizing rolls of paper

I searched around my sewing room to see what I had that would work with paper.

I found my absolute favorite binder clips and the little plastic cards that hold embroidery floss.

Click HERE for my other binder clip ideas.

organizing rolls of paper

Take one of the clips...

organizing rolls of paper

Squeeze one of the metal handles.

organizing rolls of paper

It slides right out of the slot.

organizing rolls of paper

Insert the handle into the ring of the embroidery card.

organizing rolls of paper

Squeeze the handle back into the binder clip.

organizing rolls of paper

Now you're ready to label anything that you can attach the clip to.

organizing rolls of paper


organizing rolls of paper

Just clips on to the edge of the roll of paper.

organizing rolls of paper


organizing rolls of paper

Tucked out of the way, but easy to get to.  Just pull out the desired length of paper you need for crafting and cut. I have a pair of scissors hanging next to the rolls...( I don't have small children in my home)

I store freezer paper for English Paper Piecing, Heat and Bond to attach fabric to another fabric and I also have tracing paper for crafting.

Click HERE and HERE for the 2 tutorials I have for English Paper Piecing with Freezer paper.

organizing rolls of paper

This is an old picture of how I stored ribbon in the past...tension rods inside a bookshelf.

You could also use this idea to store your rolls of paper.

organizing rolls of paper

Here's another idea for storing rolls of different papers. This is an old picture of my cutting table. I screwed curtain rod brackets under the lip of my table and then used an electrical conduit pipe to hold the rolls of freezer paper and Heat and Bond.

Electrical conduit pipe is super cheap and comes in long pieces that can be cut to size. A piece of pipe that is 1/2 inch wide by 10 feet long ( yes, 10 feet) is only $2.24...crazy cheap!!




This is perfect for gift wrapping paper too!!

I hope you can use a few of the tips I shared today to organize your space.

Happy Organizing,
~Karen~

Pin It

13 comments:

  1. This is brilliant and has just given me an idea for an old shoe cupboard. It's a bit grotty so I'll have to see if it can be salvaged. Thanks for the inspiration. Love how you labeled everything too. You're amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So clever.
    I am amazed at the many uses for 'binder clips'.
    I wish I would have saved our drawers from our kitchen remodel !
    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea! I already have my ribbon hanging in a similar fashion, so now I just need to hang my paper. Now, why didn't I think,of that?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very clever using the binder clips! Another great organizational idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Karen,
    I don't know if you have ever bought any of the cloth sheets that you use to print pictures on your computer but they are very expensive. Six sheets for around 20.00.
    I make my own using freezer paper and muslin fabric.
    I use a sheet of card stock as a pattern.
    Use a dry iron to get the wrinkles out of the muslin lay the freezer paper on top of the muslin shiny side down and iron with a hot iron until the fabric is attached.
    Just put the paper in your printer paper side up and print your pictures.
    Just pull the paper off and your picture is ready to attach to your crafting project.
    I love your blog so much. You always have wonderful ideas.
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When my craft studio grows up, I want it to be just like yours. I keep a tray of different size binder clips in my drawer. They are so useful.

    Right now I am using some of your ideas to get better organized.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been planning to build something out of pcv pipe to stand at the end of my cutting table and hold tracing paper. You have inspired me to make it large enough to hold several rolls of paper and possibly rolled up interfacing and elastic too. It would even be good to include bars to hold ribbons and gift wrap, because the counter level cutting table doubles as the best place to gift wrap too. Thanks for the inspiration and your label tags are brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the labeling idea!!! Will have to remember that on!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, Karen. You could also "borrow" the space during the holidays to keep your holiday wrap close by. Just a thought. Wish I had a room like that! :)

    Happy Sewing!
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  10. What neat ideas. I'm gonna have to look around and see how I might incorporate that idea into my spaces.
    thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  11. If you are interested, you can also make a trimmer attached to the table top to trim all but the plastic very quickly. Just use a 20" hacksaw blade as your cutting blade. Attach so you can feed the paper underneath it, then just pull up against the blade to cut. You would still have to use scissors for vinyl or contact paper, but it makes it much easier to cut the other papers on your tension rods.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment...I just love hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails