First off, I'm hanging my head in shame for 2 reasons...
- I need to go to "Savers Anonymous"...I save everything from every vacation, event, dance show, movie tickets, receipts etc. I won't even tell you about all the boxes in the attic with our two daughters' elementary school papers.
- I don't do anything with them, but store them. I have good intentions by organizing them in boxes, but to actually scrapbook them...not happening!! Lol
Here's my thought process. I love looking at old photos, books, receipts, menus, postcards etc from days gone by to see that a loaf of bread was 8 cents in 1930 or what something look like years ago. If I save little scraps of memories from our vacations or important moments in our life, my family will have something to look back on and say..."Remember when?"
In my defense, the reason why I don't scrapbook...I can not start another hobby. If I did, I would have to go to Scrapbookers Anonymous. That hobby looks way to addictive!! Lol
Here's my immediate solution...an expandable file folder
Here's most of why I hang my head in shame...boxes and boxes and a few drawers filled with memories!
Yikes! This could be cathartic for me to get all this out. Literally and figuratively Lol
and so many more not shown here. Again...hanging my head in shame.
Each box has vacation memories with park maps, receipts souvenirs, coasters, stickers, tickets, maps etc.
I am also neurotic about getting 2 of everything for each of my daughters. My intention was to create 2 memory books, one for each of them.
Let's be real. It's NOT happening. My daughters are 21 and 20, so that's a lot of memories I haven't even started on. That " scrapbooking" train left the station years ago and I missed it.
This is my solution!! Ahhhhh...hear the angels singing?
These are legal size file folders with 19 pockets in each. I bought one for each daughter, but I'm thinking about going back to get 2 more just in case I want to venture into the school boxes.
These big cases were only $15.00 each. May sound like a lot, but just think if I had to start out with a scrapbooking hobby!
It has a great lime green inside too.
I'm just getting started, still gathering all the memories, but see the first space in the front?
All I have to do is organize the memorabilia and tuck them inside the pocket, label it with the vacation and date and I'm done!
Each daughter now has a small sturdy case with a handle to carry their own memories with them when they venture out on their own to start their lives. If they ever want to venture into scrapbooking themselves, things are all neatly organize for them.
Does this system work for everyone? Maybe not, but it certainly works for me. It's cute, neatly organized, and ready for new memories to be tucked in each slot.
I can also add the photos from each vacation and the post card collections the girls have from all the trips we've taken.
These file folders are perfect for other things too...
- organize your household paperwork...bills, legal documents, insurance info etc
- organize children's school work, artwork and papers
- use it for crafting...file scrapbooking paper and supplies
- maybe for quilting too...carry quilt rulers, templates, fat quarters, patterns and other supplies to a class or retreat
- file recipes or recipes that you've torn out of magazines
You can do so much with these and they come in different sizes too. These pretty decorative ones come in 2 smaller sizes and also a vertical one.
If you want to keep memories on a smaller scale, how about using an expandable coupon file folder. Small, convenient and it limits you to only saving a few things from each occasion or vacation.
I hope these ideas will work for you too!!
Happy memories to all of you,