Monday, August 16, 2010

Another Accuquilt Hexie Tutorial...Coasters

Hi everyone...A great big Thank You for all your wonderful comments and entries for the Accuquilt cutter, I love it!!
space
I have 2 larger tutorials for the hexagons (paper piecing and sewing half hexies) which I'm planning to post on my day off on Wednesday. So tonight I thought I would post another quick gift idea.
space
Coasters and place card holder.




I used the largest hexagon shape on the Accuquilt die cutter.




From point to point, it's about 5 inches.


For the coaster, just place to hexies right sides together...


sew with a 1/4" seam allowance and leave an opening on one of the sides. Make sure you make the turn at the corners, just don't leave the whole side open. The point on the corners come out better that way.



Turn right side out, iron and close the opening. For a thicker coaster you could always add thin batting. You can also top stitch the finished coaster with a 1/4" seam.



For the place card holder, you'll need 3 hexies. The first one you will fold in half.



Place the folded one on top of the second hexagon with the folded edge towards the middle.



Top with the third hexagon, right side together.



Sew with 1/4" seam allowance.



Leave an opening. Here's a picture of the corners I was talking about earlier.



Turn right side out and iron. Close the opening.



Insert a place card with name on it...maybe a little flower or piece of candy too.



Great gift set idea or to make for craft fairs.



Thanks again for stopping by. Each visit means the world to me. Don't forget to enter the Accuquilt Go Fabric Cutter....HERE. Read all the details there.
space
Don't forget to come back for Tool Time Tuesday...no sewing for this one. We're heading to the plumbing section again!!
space
See you soon,
~Karen~

17 comments:

  1. Nice simple idea for gift giving.
    I washed some nice solids a friend sent me.
    I want to do some antique amish mini quilts and practice my free motion on them.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh gosh you make it look so easy! Super fun ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cute is that? A coaster AND placecard in one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now, this looks like a fast, simple and cute gift to make! Great idea, karen!! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good ideas, Karen. I don't have the hexie die...maybe I'll end up getting one after I see all your hexie tutorials.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very clever I am loving all your ideas that are outside the box. Thank you for sharing your creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love those Hexies! Great ideas , as always,Karen!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Karen I love those hexies. They are
    so versatile.":O)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cute ideas....your tutorials are always the best...lots of description and pictures...love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Too cute! :-D This is a fun idea.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This would be a great idea for name tags at workshops and other guild events, we don't always know each other by name

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great little gifts! Have you clicked over to www.WeAllSew.com yet to see all the great stitching ideas and tutorials folks are sharing? There is even a whole page of charity organizations that NEED help from stitchers to help others!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I want to play with hexies! I just don't want to cut them all out. If I don't win, I definetly know what's going on my Christmas list this year! I love this idea! Thanks for all the fantastic tutorials!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the coaster / placecard idea! Thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment...I just love hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails