Sunday, October 18, 2009

Two Yummy Recipes...Apple Pie and Potato Bake

The first recipe is my family's absolute favorite. They would eat homemade apple pie everyday if they could. During this season, I do make it a lot, that's why I use the boxed crust. Don't boo me for this...I've tried homemade. The box is just so much quicker.
space
Here's my apple pie recipe for you to try...
space
APPLE PIE
  • 3 pounds apples (I love Macoun, Gala or Braeburn) peeled and sliced
  • 1 cup white, granulated sugar
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 2 tablespoons flour
  • 1 teaspoon butter
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 2 teaspoon water
  • 2 pie crusts (try the box!!)
  • a little extra white sugar to sprinkle on top crust
Bake at 425 for the first 15 minutes, then drop the temperature down to 350 for 35-45 minutes (maybe longer). I always go by the texture of the apples inside, not the color of the crust. My family like the apples really cooked. I usually stick a knife into the vent hole on the top crust. If the apple doesn't feel tender, I cook it longer. If the crust is browning too much, I cover it with foil until the apples are done.

space
In a small bowl, mix the 1 cup sugar with the 1 teaspoon cinnamon and 2 tablespoons flour.
space

space
Layer the sugar mixture with the sliced apples.
space


Stir to coat all apples.


Place bottom crust in pie plate and fill with sugared apples. Dot with the teaspoon of butter. Why the butter...I don't know. My mom always did, it's butter so you can't go wrong and she is looking down on us from above, so you'd better just do it!!
space

Cover apples with top crust and seal the 2 crust together by pinching the edges. In a small bowl, mix egg yolk with 2 teaspoons of water.
space


Whisk egg mixture to make an egg wash for the top crust.
space

Use a pastry brush or just use your fingers to coat the entire top crust with the wash. Just a light coat...sprinkle with white sugar all over the top. This gives you a golden, sweet, crunchy top.
space


Don't forget to use a knife to cut vent holes to let out the steam. I've always used the letter "H" for every pie I've ever made. It's my husband nickname.
space

and here you have it...a delicious apple pie just waiting for a scoop of vanilla ice cream.



spacespaceThe next recipe is called Potato Bake and is another family favorite. I do make it for our regular dinners, but when we have my side and my husband's side of the family over, I double this recipe...and every bit of it goes.
space

Potato Bake
space
  • One 2 lb. bag frozen Ore-Ida hash browns (the cubed kind) thawed
  • 12 oz sour cream (about 3/4 of a 16 oz. container)
  • 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese ( 8 oz bag is 2 cups)
  • 1 can cream of chicken soup (DO NOT DILUTE)
  • 1 stick butter, melted
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion, optional (great with or without)
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • dash of black pepper
Topping mixture:
  • Plain corn flakes, crushed (sprinkle as much as you'd like to cover the top)
  • 1/2 stick melted butter
Directions:
Mix all of the ingredients except the topping mixture. Spoon into greased casserole dish. Top with crushed corn flakes and drizzle with the 1/2 stick melted butter. Bake at 350 for 1 hour or until golden in color and bubbly.
space
space
one whole stick of melted butter in the main mixture and 1/2 stick is melted and drizzled on top.
space

space
This is just the melted butter...took the picture, not sure why?!?


Mix all of the main ingredients in a large bowl to incorporate it well.
space

Spoon into greased casserole.
space

Top with the crushed corn flakes and melted butter. Bake and enjoy.
space.

I am so mad I didn't get a picture of it when it came out of the oven and before it went to the table. You really wouldn't want to see it when it came back from the table...it was an empty mess. Proof positive it was delicious!!
space
Hope you can try these 2 family favorites if not now, maybe over the upcoming holidays.
space
Happy cooking,
~Karen~
space
ps...I did very well on my "To Do" list today...you would be very proud of me.

12 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing the recipes Karen!

    I make apple pie, I haven't try with an egg wash on top! I will try it!

    The potato recipe looks yummy, too!

    Zlaty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you take all the calories out? Sure looks delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUMMMMMM....are we all invited for dinner soon??

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUM OOOOO. I'll be trying the potato back tonight.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  5. You and I must be on the same baking wavelength! We both did german chocolate about the same time and just the other day i made an apple pie, too! Can't wait to try the potato bake - YUM! Have a super great day, Karen!

    ReplyDelete
  6. YUMMY! I use the Pillsbury boxed crusts also - I love the way the pies taste with these! Thanks for sharing :)
    laurie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh! I've been making that potato bake for years, only we don't call it that. It's such a yummy recipe!! We use the shredded hash browns instead of the cubed ones...it's one of my favorites!!! And always a big hit!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, your recipe is identical to mine, although I haven't tried the egg wash and sugar on the crust. Don't feel bad about the boxed crust (I use frozen ones), but I'm going to try the boxed ones. The egg wash makes the crust look so delicious. I've just picked the apples from our trees today and I'll be trying the boxed crust. Can't wait to have it finished. Thanks, my family will love this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I absolutely love the boxed pie crusts...I use them all the time when I make my pies.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just made your apple pie today--yum!! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have had this recipe since the 7th grade. We made it in home ec for Thanksgiving that year. Still a favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My son was home for Christmas and requested apple pie. I had never made one because I'm not crazy about fruit pies. Everyone, included myself, loved this pie. So, I am making another for Father's Day today while my son is here!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment...I just love hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails