Monday, December 21, 2015

Last Minute Gift Idea...Swiss Roll Towels

It's crunch time!! Christmas is just days away. If you are looking for a hostess gift, party favor, teacher gift or just a little gift to tuck in with something else, I have a quick project for you!!

I made these Christmas Swiss Rolls as party favors for my Christmas party I had last weekend. They were a BIG hit!!  It's something that everyone can use, because they are made from towels!!

Christmas Swiss Rolls...

swiss roll gift idea

They look good enough to eat, lol or at least clean up after yourself when you eat!!

swiss roll gift idea

Come on in to see how easy they are to make!

I made 70 of these favors for the ladies at the party.  They are easy to make, but I did take lots of pictures to show you how.

swiss roll gift idea

I was in assembly line mode, sitting at the coffee table in front of the tv watching Hallmark Christmas movie marathons, so I apologize for the dark background of my coffee table. I wasn't thinking when I was snapping pictures as I was making theses!!

As a side note, my favorite Hallmark Christmas movies...

  • The Christmas Card
  • Let it Snow
  • A Very Merry Mix Up
  • Matchmaker Santa
  • Trading Christmas
  • Christmas Under Wraps
What are your favorites?

I digress...

Supplies 


For one Swiss Roll,  I used washcloths, but you can use any size towel. I nice hand towel or kitchen towel will make a larger Swiss Roll.
  • one brown washcloth or hand towel
  • one white washcloth or hand towel
  • ribbon
  • holiday greenery or decoration for the top...holly, evergreen, berries, bow, pine cones etc

Instructions...


First, fold wash cloth in half. If your towel has decorative stitching (like that band in the pic below), try to fold that to the inside so the cake looks smooth all over on the outside.

swiss roll gift idea

Then fold it again. This is folded in quarters, but if your's works better to fold in thirds, that's fine too.

swiss roll gift idea


Fold your white washcloth to fit the width of your brown washcloth. The width has to match, but not the length.

swiss roll gift idea

Start rolling. Make sure you start rolling tight. The white cloth will squeeze down and out as you roll, so you might have to "tuck and roll" as you go.

swiss roll gift idea

It's better to end with the brown edge longer, so it looks like the cake part is wrap up at the end.

swiss roll gift idea

Here's how it looks all rolled up.

swiss roll gift idea

Tie with a ribbon. After making 70, here's a tip. Use your knees to squeeze the roll as you're tying the ribbon around the towel.

swiss roll gift idea

I had a bunch of silk holly leaves that were on berry sprigs. I just pulled off the holly leaf and slipped the ribbon though.

swiss roll gift idea

Tied on some fake berries.

swiss roll gift idea

I bought the extra large cupcake papers at Michael's

swiss roll gift idea

Just place the roll in the paper and you are done!!

So cute, right?

swiss roll gift idea

When you put them all together on a tray they look so real!

swiss roll gift idea

I made a lot, so I bought these metal cookie trays with plastic covers at our local discount store Job Lot.

swiss roll gift idea

Some of my rolls were made with "dark" chocolate towels...

swiss roll gift idea

and some with "milk" chocolate towels.

swiss roll gift idea

Either way...they look yummy!!

swiss roll gift idea

Here's the low down on purchasing the towels. I bought packages of the white washcloths at Walmart. I used their Mainstay brand...18 cloths for $3.97. The dark brown cloths were in a 3 pack, but I can't remember how much and the light brown cloths are their brand too, at 47 cents a piece!!

So....

  • white cloth...22 cents
  • brown cloth...47 cents
  • rolls of ribbon...97 cents for many yards on a roll. I used 12-14 inches of ribbon for each one
  • cupcake papers...$1.99 for 75 so 2-3 cents a piece.
With your choice of additional decorations, each roll probably cost about $1, more or less depending on where you live. 

I hope you really liked this idea and can make some this Christmas too!!

As a fun little aside...

What's your favorite Hallmark Christmas movies? Leave you list in the comment section!!

Marry Christmas,
~Karen~


Pin It

55 comments:

  1. What a great gift idea! As for my favourite Hallmark movie(s)...do you remember the 'Sarah, Plain and Tall' ones? I bought the videos when they were available and wore them out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE this idea!!!! I am not much of a blog commenter but I truly enjoy your blog. This idea is genius and so sweet. I am setting time aside today to get the supplies. This is JUST the thing I needed for some little treats. I love being creative but this year my brain is just drained and I was not coming up with good ideas. This one is absolutely wonderful! Thank you so much for all you do. This is one gal who truly appreciates it. Happy Holidays to you and Yours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute! Great gift idea for many co-workers. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I toured your beautiful house yesterday and you said you would share this cake roll today I thought it would be a recipe. It looked so real sitting on your sink. I am getting the ingredients today for this darling ornament! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ingenious Buche de Noel..... too late for this year's treat
    giving, but a definite on the calendar for 2016. Many thanks
    for sharing .....

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Most Wonderful Time of the Year, I'm Not Ready for Christmas, Christmas Under Wraps, Matchmaker Santa, Christmas Detour, Let it Snow, Moonlight & Mistletoe, Northport Return, & Snow Bride. You can say Candace Cameron Burre is a fav of mine. As are a couple more of actresses, Alicia Witt & Marla (I forget her last name, along with some new favs this year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How cute! Thank you for showing us how to make these and display them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantasmagorical idea! Thank you for yet another gem. Merry Christmas to you and your family and friends.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for sharing your fabulous gift idea. As for the Hallmark movie...I am lucky to live in Nevada City where The Christmas Card was filmed. We also have Victorian Christmas in December. Merry Christmas...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing this!!! I think I may try this on a smaller scale with quilting batting and fleece or flannel to make a Christmas ornament for my little tree!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These look so good that I almost didn't click on it because I thought it was a food recipe and I'm sort of overwhelmed with those. Wonderful idea and beautiful presentation and I love the zero calories!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sign, Sealed, Delivered, It's Christmas one of so many. Love the Christmas Marathon in July, too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Darn you! Now I have to run out get towels with which to make these amaing things............

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a cute idea! I don't have a favorite Hallmark Christmas movie....I like them all. I missed Karen Kingsbury's The Bridge but I was looking forward to that one. I'll see it later I hope.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a cute idea, I love the dark and milk chocolate too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you , thank you! I made 3 this afternoon coming in at $3.25 each but I used larger kitchen towel. I love them! I love how many you made and arranged them in the cooking tins.

    ReplyDelete
  17. After being away from blogging for way too long I promised myself that 2016 would be a comeback year...started early with a visit to your blog and yup you'll have me coming back. This is too cute not to duplicate..looking forward to the next blog Merry Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for this great idea! My most favorite Hallmark movie was YEARS ago. It starred Patty Duke and a little boy . I do not remember the name, but they made fruit cakes for people and it was wonderful. Does anyone remember the name of it ( over 35 years ago!)?

      Delete
  18. Wonderful idea! So pretty and useful... Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Greetings, Karen,
    I hope this finds you well and enjoying the holiday season. These Swiss Rolls are such a cute idea!

    Take care, ~Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great ideas, this is chic gift. By the way, Is there other info DIY gift from second hand material that will inspire me ?

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a great idea. Wish I had seen it before Christmas, but now to remember it for next year or something in between. Maybe with a different ribbon decoration at Easter or a birthday treat. I want to make them NOW!! Thanks so much for sharing with us. I am behind on my blogging efforts this year.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow! I just stumbled on your blog from who knows whose blog and I'm so glad I did. This gift idea is such a clever idea!!! I'm always looking for quick, inexpensive things for office parties 'nstuff. Let's see... Valentines Day is coming... red and white towels maybe. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  23. P.S. Favorite Christmas movie - While You Were Sleeping

    ReplyDelete
  24. Pam Mcdonald it was A Christmas Memory by Truman Capote. It was one of my favorites too.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Missing your blog and hoping all is OK.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Karen, not sure what has happened but hope you and your family let God hold each of you tight, love and support each other. The days will be easier. WE ALL CARE! Waiting for your return.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Missing your blog too and hope everything is alright with you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I echo the above comments. I am wondering if your family is okay. I miss your blog but definitely hope you and yours are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Lovely idea! Hope you get back soon! Take care

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi Karen, hope all is well with your family. Wemiss you x Laura

    ReplyDelete
  31. Karen missing your body's so bad. Hope u r back soon. Paula in Ky

    ReplyDelete
  32. I keep checking back. Hope you will be back soon.{{hugs and prayer}}

    ReplyDelete
  33. Miss you Karen. Beginning to worry if all is well with you and yout family.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I check every Sunday to see if the sun has come out yet for your blog. Concerned that life's dark clouds have been with you so much this year.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Miss reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I keep checking back and find you are still away. I am worried and sending you and your family prayers and hugs. I feel there must have been a life changing happening to keep you away this long. Hopefully we will hear from you soon. You are missed.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hope all is well with you and yours. I noticed you haven't posted in a long time - take care!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Miss you, Karen...I hope all is well and looking forward to seeing new posts from you.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Bonjour,
    J'espere que vous allez bien, vous et les votres car vous ne postez plus. J'adore vous suivre .

    ReplyDelete
  40. Looking for any update.

    ReplyDelete
  41. stella@mail.postmanllc.net

    ReplyDelete
  42. I miss your blog :( I just reread your post about the difficulties with your father and I'm hoping you are all OK. Please know that bunch of people are thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Hi Karen How are you? It sounds selfish but I miss your posts. I hope that what does not let you write on the blog are joys. Greetings from Argentina

    ReplyDelete
  44. Hi Karen,
    I feel certain you and your family have hit a difficult time. I am sure many of your followers have been concerned. After all the love, all the incredible talent you have displayed on these pages I still hope that we might hear from you.
    If this is a close to your blog then so be it, I will be disappointed but understand life has choices to be made that require whats best.
    Please, if you can, just give us a brief note of all done or may be back in the future. You have created so much. I just wish we could be of help to you.
    Wishing you the best,

    Linda S.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Hi Karen,
    I feel certain you and your family have hit a difficult time. I am sure many of your followers have been concerned. After all the love, all the incredible talent you have displayed on these pages I still hope that we might hear from you.
    If this is a close to your blog then so be it, I will be disappointed but understand life has choices to be made that require whats best.
    Please, if you can, just give us a brief note of all done or may be back in the future. You have created so much. I just wish we could be of help to you.
    Wishing you the best,

    Linda S.

    ReplyDelete
  46. I don't speak english well, but i hope you ans personn you like are in good health and i wish the better for you. Come on soon here.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment...I just love hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails