Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Great Finds at the Brimfield Antique Show...

This past Sunday, I went to the Brimfield Antique Show with my daughter Courtney and her fiancé Courtland. The Brimfield Show is in central Massachusetts and is the largest outdoor show in New England running 3 times a year since 1959 with over 5000 dealers! It started on Tuesday, but we decided to go on Sunday, the last day. We weren't looking for anything in particular, but I did buy a few vintage goodies that I wanted share them with you.

brimfield antiques

I decorate one of my Christmas trees in a vintage theme with big colored light, colored glass ornaments and silver tinsel!! I'm always looking for old toys to place under the tree. I just loved this box of Pix Pix pick up sticks!!

brimfield antiques

Made in 1937...so cute and only $3.00!

brimfield antiques

Old fashioned bingo cards for only $2.00. Not sure what I'll do with them, but I love the look.

brimfield antiques

Another great find was this vintage lunch box from the 1960's, I think. Red tartan plaid!! I only paid $5.00 for it.

brimfield antiques

Still has the original sticker on the side.

brimfield antiques

and a cute "Safety First" poem on the inside. The thermos was missing, but you can see where it was stored all those years on the right hand side where the paint is chipped.

brimfield antiques

It's already washed and filled with an I Spy hexagon quilt that I'm sewing by hand. It's a cute little storage box to keep projects in.

I've sewn and given away so many I Spy quilts as baby gifts, I thought I'd better make 2 quilts for my future grandchildren before all my I Spy fabric is gone. To make these 2 quilts extra special, I'll sew them both by hand with English Paper Piecing.

brimfield antiques

The best deal was a zip lock bag filled with vintage 1930's fabric scraps for only $10.00

brimfield antiques

Next to the bags that were for sale was a grandmother's flower garden flower with the old paper pieces still on the backside. Amazing to think someone from the 1930's was sewing with this fabric.

brimfield antiques

There are such incredible fabrics in this bag, all crumbled and cut up. The colors and patterns are perfect! They must have been stored away for years and years in some one's sewing room.

brimfield antiques

Sad to think that the family had to go through all her fabric and sewing supplies and get rid of it all. Makes me want to sew up all my fabric and make things to give away to family and friends.

Although there is a different side to this story...her fabric is now with someone who loves it and will turn it into the cutest hexagon quilt that will be cherished for years to come!!

Add this project to the ever growing "To Do" list!!

brimfield antiques

Do you love going to antique shows or flea markets?

What was your greatest find?

Thanks for stopping by and have a great day!!
~Karen~

Pin It

24 comments:

  1. I have a lunch box exactly like the one you bought. It was mine as a child. It was fun seeing another like it in your finds. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My what a find! Love those 30's scraps! I swear I could smell the lunchbox when the photo came up. Do you remember that metal lunchbox smell (probably leftover PB&J!). I absolutely love it! I am a sucker for any tin boxes. I usually line mine with wool felt to keep my scissors (etc.) from rattling and I can use the wool to stick pins or needles in. Great finds! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great and very reasonable finds. Love the fabric and the pick up stix! I love Brimfield. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also had a great antiquing weekend with friends. At the Stratford Antique center I found a 1931 appliqué quilt made from a Mountain Mist kit. Beautiful work for $20! At theElephants Trunk Flea marker ( also in CT) found a sewing table that is the size of a small end table. It looks like there are 2 drawers but the bottom one rotates out to hold spools of thread. (1940) also $20. Wish I could send pics!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love estate sales, auctions and garage sales. The hunt is everything. The best part is feeling as though I got a bargain.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not a sale ... this I large item pickup (once a year) for my area .... just picked up a Janome sewing machine (!) that looks be just need cleaning and a clay strawberry jar (going to plant herbs in it) and a corner shelf but that one might go back out as I'm not sure about it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome scores! I use a lunchbox for my hexies too--the perfect size and cute to boot!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My greatest find was a 1955 (my birth year) Singer Featherweight sewing machine with case and its table. It was only $165.00. I had to do a little work to get thread out of bobbin area. It now looks and sews wonderful. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice re-purposing! You can always find use for a storage container.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Karen what great finds!!! I LOVE going to yard sales, flea sales and vintage stores and boutiques. I have a very strong love for vintage things. I just adore the vintage era. I really love your fabrics and cannot wait to see what you do with it all... congrats to such awesome finds!
    Hugs,
    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  11. For the metal containers like the lunch box, do you line the interior or treat it in some way? i'm asking as I had a large Altoids metal container which seemed a bit rusty. I tried putting clewr nail polish on the rough spots but it didn't work. Any info. Would be helpful. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. On Sunday, at the local Goodwill, I bought 14 pieces of fabric, all at least 1 yard in length. A total of 18 yards for $50. With taxes, still only $3. a yard. Made my day!

    Torry (I'm signing in a anon. because I can't figure how else to do it.) (What is a URL?)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those pick-up sticks! Amazing <3

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have never been to the Brimfield show but I am close enough to attend….I must get there one day!
    Last year I did drive to OH where I drove, and enjoyed the 127 yard sale (Longest Yard Sale ~ 600+ miles). It was a wonderful experience.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That fabric stash was amazing! You deserve a little sweet treat! Of course, I adore that lunch box too. I can't wait to see you finished quilt.

    Thank you for reminding me of Brimfield. I have been wanting to go there for a long time, so I put it on my calendar for Friday, July 19, 2015 and asked one of my adult children to go with me.

    (A Connecticut shoreline follower for years.)

    ReplyDelete
  16. You did find some great deals. I went to a house sale and found a twin sized double pink Single Irish chain quilt between a mattress and the box springs. The springs were made before they started covering them with fabric so the quilt had dirty/rusty ring marks. I got the quilt for $1.00! The marks came out after a gentle washing. I also use to work for an auctioneer and picked up unwashed feed sacks for $1.00 apiece. Love a great deal!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your treasure trove brought back fond memories. We're originally from CT so we visited a few times. There was, also, one in PA (forgot name) during the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Karen I had one of those red plaid lunch boxes when I was a kid! Most of the time we took our lunches in a brown paper sack or a bread wrapper but one year when there was a little extra money we got lunch boxes. Fond memories! blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  19. You made some great finds! I only just learned about English paper piecing this weekend. I can't wait to get started on my first quilt. Now I'm kicking myself for always getting rid of my scraps.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Those Pick Up Sticks bring back memories of countless lazy summer days.
    What great finds !
    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  21. I carried a lunch box, like yours, to school for years. It brings back memories.
    Cathy Odle

    ReplyDelete
  22. I had one of those lunchboxes in the early 70s but I LOVE the fabric you found. Would love to get so lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oooh so wish we could all get together and have fun. I'm in Victoria, Australia. One treasure from an annual vintage trash/treasure weekend is a T.G. Green & Co England, Cornish kitchen ware,blue/white stripe mixing bowl. I 'talk' to the ex owner as I use it. And recently in a huge back yard clearance centre I found a vintage warped clock with pendulum I'll restore for an Alice in Wonderland tea party I'm drooling over. Oh to have more hours in my day sigh!

    ReplyDelete
  24. A few years back I stopped at a local yard sale and saw a new-large scrappy quilt top for $5.00. I looked it over, very good!! A 20ish aged girl said her "91 year old Nana sewed a bunch of them "silly things" last year before she died of breast cancer." I inquired to see somemore (there were 30 king size tops folded/crammed in black trash bags in a closet). I bought every top at $5.00 each and a huge bag of 4'scraps @ $175.00. I cried so hard driving away and prayed "Nana" all your hard work is safe with me now! I will treasur these, and I still have them all! It broke my heart!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment...I just love hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails