Wednesday, April 15, 2015

A Few of My Favorite Sewing Notions...

We all have our favorite sewing notions that help make our lives easier. I thought I would share a few of my must haves. I would love it if you would share your favorites in the comment section too. It's great to learn about new things, especially when they are tried and true!!

These are a few of my favorite things...

Bees Wax


I've always used bees wax when I'm hand sewing. I've always had the bigger size disc, but I just found this package of 5 little minis!! They are perfect to keep with different hand sewing projects.

Bees wax coats the thread so it doesn't knot up, twist or fray. I absolutely love it for sewing my hexagon projects.

sewing notions

Look how tiny each one. I have a bobbin in the center to compare the size. I found them in the quilting section at Joann fabrics for $3.99.

sewing notions

Thread Cutter Pendant


I also use a thread cutter when I'm hand sewing and this one from Clover is my favorite!!

sewing notions

It's a bronze metal pendant.

sewing notions

and has a hole to add your own chain to hang it around your neck like a necklace.

sewing notions

When you have it as a necklace, you will never lose your scissors. This is especially great when hand sewing in the car or on a plane. This was in the embroidery section at Joann's...$7.99, but use a 50% coupon.

It looks like jewelry!!

sewing notions

Just pass the thread over any of the openings and it cuts it beautifully. The sharp blade is totally encased in the metal, so you will never cut yourself.

sewing notions

Seam Fix...seam ripper and fixer


Another favorite is this rubber pen seam ripper. We've all been there when we have to rip out a seam. I'm there more often than I like. Lol

This is a great seam ripper, but to remove all those loose threads...

sewing notions


The cap of the seam ripper is a rubber cleaner. Just run this rubber pen over the seam and it will pull out all the little threads that you have left behind from the seam ripper. It's like magic!!

sewing notions

Handy Storage Box...


Ok, this is chocolate, but that's not my favorite...the box is!! Don't get me wrong, I love chocolate, but if I had a choice between chocolate and a bag of chips...it's salty all the way. I am a savory eater more than a sweet eater. I digress...

Back to the box. These little chocolates come in a cute metal box. I know some mints do too.

sewing notions

These boxes are perfect for a little sewing kit or a project holder.

sewing notions

Here's a little bobbin to show you the size of the box.

sewing notions

I keep my mini hexie projects in this box. It fits in my purse to sew anytime I have a few extra minutes in a doctors office, waiting for my daughter to get out of work or during my lunch time at work.

The box isn't a sewing "notion", but still a must have. It keeps things clean, organize and handy.

sewing notions

Hope you liked some of the items that I showed today. These are my own items and I wasn't paid by anyone to write this post...just wanted to share.

What are your sewing favorites or must haves?

Thanks for stopping by and sharing,
~Karen~


Pin It

23 comments:

  1. I find I look for my small 1inch by 6 inch Olfa ruler and That Purple Thang. Now I have those stashed in all my sewing places and going-to-class bucket. Saves losing them or searching aimlessly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use a small galvanized bucket (received at a wedding reception - held the table centrepiece for our table & I won) to hold everything I use when sewing - trim scissors, seam ripper, magnet (for picking up pins, etc) small hand lotion, ruler, seam gauge, ... AND I hang a small bag from one handle to catch threads, scraps,... It keeps everything together and is easy to grab and go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your ideas! Where did you find the little Whitman chocolate sampler boxes?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can I ask a potentially silly question... ;-) How do you use the beeswax? I know, it's probably simple, but while I don't do a lot of hand sewing (machine all the way, lol!), I do counted cross stitching and get so irritated with knots and twisting! I've just always taken it as par for the course, and I could probably get knots out in my sleep! If beeswax would help (and not hurt my finished piece), I'd be willing to try! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I keep a ruler handy, too. And I also have a pointed tool for turning corners. Where did you find the Whitman's Tin? I need one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brilliant! Love these ideas, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. One of my favourite tools for storing quilting tools is a cutlery holder I got at a Bed, Bath and Beyond type of store several years ago.

    It is quite heavy but I keep my different sized rotary cutters, some cloth, paper and craft scissors along with other retreat necessities. In the compartment where you would keep napkins I keep some of my smaller square rulers and other specially gadgets. Because it has a handle it is easy to carry. I even have a corkscrew/bottle cap opener along with some marking tools and pencils. Oh I even have a 60" measuring tape.

    I just made a bionic gear bag for some of my hand sewing tools, that isn't quite loaded yet as I just finished it.

    I also love tins and have several with other supplies, along with packets to throw the project I'm working on at the moment...I'm a collector!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I suppose the thread cutter is my favourite from your accessories.
    This one is beautiful and I really like it!
    Hope to get one in Poland :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing your sewing notions--I really need to find a seam ripper with the rubber end. Getting out all the little short threads after taking out a seam is my most unfavorite part! I wonder if an Altoids metal container is too small for a sewing kit? I'll have to try that out. Love the pendant thread cutter...now where did I put my Joann's coupon?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such great ideas! I like to keep several bobbins wound and ready to go when quilting. They fit perfectly into the rubber like toe spacers that are used for pedicures and take up very little room.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great tips! I have one of those pendants that I have never taken out of the package--that needs to change. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Put a flat magnet in the bottom (or top) of your tin box. Then you won't lose your pins or needles. I already have the beexwax and the cutter necklace. Hubby gives me his Altoids tins.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Really enjoyed this post. I like my frixon pens and appliqué pins.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Pretty sure I read recently on the TSA's website that the circular (pendant) cutters were not allowed on planes....??? Sometimes what particular agents or airports allow depends on which way the wind is blowing on any given day. I don't chance it -- I take (baby) nail clippers.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The man of the house put one of the thread cutters in my stocking last Christmas and I LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Karen is spot on about wax. Truly a miracle cure. When I xstitch for fun (not competition), I lightly wax my thread...pure joy stitching. Gail

    ReplyDelete
  17. I read somewhere that the thread with wax on it was supposed to be ironed to get the wax INTO the thread. Do you do that? I don't do hand sewing anymore- thumb won't stand for it! I have found, though, that I can applique wool onto cotton with wool threads- such as Lisa Bongean's work about the Words. Larger motions in the blanket stitch, I guess. As long as I can sew in some way, I'm hap-hap-happy!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lots of items I knew nothing about....thanks for the post !

    ReplyDelete
  19. Karen at my guild one of the members showed several of those little metal boxes she had covered with fabric - really cute. I have a small box I use, though it's plastic. I glued some magnet strips in it on both the bottom and inside the lid. Needles will stay put on the lid and I added a couple of disk magnets to the bottom so that when I'm stitching my small scissors will lay there and not move. blessings marlene

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love my wrist pin cushion so convenient when sitting at my machine sewing. Your seam ripper looks fantastic! I'll have to be on the look out for that.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love the Whitman Sampler boxes but I think now they're cardboard--love them as little sewing boxes. Instead of a thread cutter pendant I LOVE Clover's thread cutter ring--a flick of the finger & done.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment...I just love hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails