Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Travel Mug Idea...and It's My Own Mug!!

This post might be one of those where you're thinking...

  1. wow, why didn't I think of that or 
  2. hmmm, who cares...this girl is nuts. Lol

For me, however, it's the little things in life. 

I drink tea All. Day. Long. The tea kettle is always steaming. Don't get me wrong, I love coffee too, but if I drink too much it makes me nauseous. I'm good for 2-3 cups of joe a day mostly at work...but I digress. 

I drink tea so much that even if I am going out somewhere, I bring a cup of hot tea with me in the car. This mugs is my favorite, because it's the only one that fits in my cup holder, but boy does it get messy with splashing.

ceramic travel mug

Therein lies the problem...I hate the plastic travel mugs that would prevent that splashing. I've tried them all, but even my favorite Star Wars travel mug doesn't cut for me. They all make the drink taste like plastic. I wanted to get a stainless steel lined travel mug, but they are way too expensive.

ceramic travel mug

I finally found a solution!!!

I had a package of Dixie travel cups that I bought at the supermarket for the kids a long time ago when they lived here and were traveling back and forth to work. I had a few left with the sippy lids.

ceramic travel mug

I tried one of the plastic lids on my ceramic mug and it fits!!!

You can also save the plastic lids from your next drive-thru purchase and see if that lid will work too. That would definitely be a true recycling idea.

ceramic travel mug

You might have to test a few lids with your own mugs to see if it works. One test is to tip the mug over the sink to make sure it doesn't leak from under the rim when you're drinking it.

ceramic travel mug

This picture is heaven sent...tea that actually tastes like tea and won't spill when I'm "on the go".

ceramic travel mug

In a sea of craziness...this is my "little thing" in life!!

Thanks for always stopping by and stay tuned for another great story from the ongoing saga with my dad...it's a doozy. Lol 

I'm off to make a nice cup of tea...I need it!!

Here's something I found somewhere and it made me laugh, so I saved it.




~Karen~


Pin It

37 comments:

  1. Love that list - next on the list is 6. Find cold tea and reheat in microwave. 7. Forget tea is in microwave and find it the next morning when you go to cook oats for breakfast.
    This is a great idea, Karen, I'll keep my tops now to test them on various mugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENS TO ME! Make Tea, it's too hot, let it cool (forget about it!), remember about it, it's cold, heat it up in mircowave, forget about it, remember about it, heat it up again......I'm a Tea drinker, but how many cups of Tea do I drink a day? One....it just takes me all day to drink it!

      Tammy

      Delete
  2. Perfect idea and I need to show that little sign to my boss. He is always doing that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a great idea, like the others...
    Kisses,

    ReplyDelete
  4. Clever! Here's one for you - how did the hipster burn his tongue? He drank his tea before it was cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is nothing nicer than a cup of tea out of a real china mug......especially with a chocolate biscuit, heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So now I am on the lookout for the right one for me! Love my tea ...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a bottle for travel but found a pringles lid fits my favorite ice tea glass so I can pop it in the fridge if I have to run out. I also found one that fits a glass carafe & the lid from a powdered gatoraid container fits one of my small serving bowls.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh thanks so much--I am a tea lover, too and I will use your idea on my mug for sure...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brilliant!!! Thanks for sharing...slurp!

    ReplyDelete
  10. An alternate #6 for the Tea list might come from old shampoo instructions:

    Rinse and repeat.

    And I agree -- it's can be those little discoveries that make us smile -- especially when we can pull the materials right out of our own cupboard! I love your solution ... I bet a lot of people will be trying lids on mugs today!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is just too smart. I always reuse the paper coffee cups I get so this is a no brainer!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a genius idea!!! You rock girl!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I repeat... what a genius idea! I am like you.. I don't like drinking my tea (I am an iced tea addict!) out of plastic anything! It just destorts the flavor! . I do have a Sew World 20oz sipper thing with a straw (I always use straws to keep as much of the tea off my teeth as possible to help prevent stains!) that at least is tollerable....seeing as how the tea doesn't last long anyway. But Your recycle purpose of the lids...ingenious!!!
    Cheri
    www.fabricandmemories.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a wonderful idea! I'm the same way, I have my mug of coffee in the morning. But during the day I love hot tea--lately it's herbal lemon zing tea. Love! And I love my ceramic mugs most of all, so I'll have to try it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Tervis Tumblers don't taste like plastic. I know, I drink about a 12 cup pot of tea every day.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I had to laugh at the tea sign - that is me!! I make the tea, wait for it to steep and then remember when it's already almost to cold to drink...... It is easy to re-heat mind you, but that is so not the point!!! Thanks for the laugh and the lesson in how to 'make it work for you'!!!
    I never thought of re-using those lids that way. Wonder if they would work for my mugs.......??

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well I really love this idea! You are a star x

    ReplyDelete
  18. My son gave me a travel mug as a gift, but I found out the lid was defective when I tried to use it. I didn't have the heart to tell him, so I have been using it without the lid. Your idea of using a plastic lid prompted me to see if it would fit my travel mug.....it did! Thanks for giving me another 'why didn't I think of that?' idea.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm the same way with tea. I LOVE tervis tumblers for when I travel back and forth in the car (which is 3 trips to school per day, about 40 mile per day). Like this alternative though!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love that quote at the end. Today I manged to get a cup of hot water from the water cooler, bring it back to my office, and then promptly forgot to put the tea bag INTO the cup of water. #teafail

    ReplyDelete
  21. stainless mugs are fairly reasonable at Target (some are $12ish) and keep tea hot forever.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am back into drinking hot tea since I got my Keurig, it is wonderful! Thank you for the lid idea, I'll have to try it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm a tea drinker also, year round and all day. I carry tea bags and sweetener in my purse too. Love the lid idea. Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
  24. Such a great idea and so simple! I agree, it`s the little things in life that make it awesome!

    just-randomlittlethings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Who would have guessed? Thanks for sharing. I am a constant coffee drinker, take it everywhere but I do own 3 great stainless travel mugs. I will however see if any plastic lids fit my favorite mugs!

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is certainly a "Why Didn't I Think Of That" moment.
    xx, Carol

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a cool idea! I've been wanting to buy a stainless steel travel mug too but as you mentioned they are a little pricey. Last summer I found two stainless steel water bottles at a thrift store for 50 cents each which get used all the time. I keep hoping to find a travel mug too.

    ReplyDelete
  28. haha I just loved this idea!!! And the best part is you will feel like you are at home no matter where you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. And I thought I was the ONLY one who took my ceramic mug of tea with me in the car! I did try a stainless travel mug. But if coffee is ever put in it, it tastes like coffee forever, no matter what's in the mug. Besides, stainless steel keeps the tea TOO HOT FOR TOO LONG!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment...I just love hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails