This post was not planned, but in the middle of making the twice baked, I took a few pictures to share and easy way to fill the potato shells…an ice cream scoop!!
My husband was literally cutting the ham while I was taking the pictures, so this was a quickie, but I wanted to share the "scoop" on this helpful tip!
I know there are a ton of ways to make twice baked potatoes, but here's how I do it before I show you the scoop pictures. I do mine right when they come out of the oven and whip them up hot, but you can bake them and cool them too and then bake again.
- bake russet potatoes in the oven until fork tender. Time will depend on size of potato, but count on one hour for sure
- place hot potato on a potholder in the palm of your hand and cut in half length wise.
- scoop out the potato into mixing bowl and place empty skin shells on a cooking sheet.
- add your favorite ingredients to make the whipped potato mixture. I use milk or half n' half, butter, sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese, salt and pepper. All to taste for what you like. Obviously not a "skinny" version, but I do use fat free half n' half and light sour cream!
- beat until light and fluffy.
One tip is to heat the butter and the milk in the microwave, so you are adding warm ingredients to the hot potatoes.
Now find your best ice cream scoop. Preferably the one that has the spring mechanism to slide out the scoop of potato mixture.
Fill it and scape on the side of the bowl.
Then scoop it out into each shell.
Fill all your skins in a matter of seconds.
Spread potato out with a knife or spoon.
I usually top with a little extra shredded cheese, but sorry no pictures. I needed to get these puppies in the oven for those last few minutes while the rest of the food was coming out!!
I hope this was a helpful tip for the next time you make twice baked potatoes!!
Thanks for stopping by,