Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Sugar Dispenser Turned…Sewing Kit or String Dispenser

Welcome to another Tool Time Tuesday. Today, I'm are up cycling an old sugar dispenser that I don't use any more. If you don't use something any more, before you store it away or get rid of it, see if you can turn it into something else!!

Here is the sugar dispenser…

sugar dispenser sewing kit

Cute, but I haven't used it in a while, so I wanted to switch it up.

sugar dispenser sewing kit

So, I transformed it into a thread dispenser and sewing kit!!

sugar dispenser sewing kit

Come on in for an easy tutorial for the elastic pincushion. You can also use it for your wrist!

Measurements are up to you depending on the size of the jar or how big you want the pincushion.

My fabric rectangles are 2 1/2 inches x 3 inches.

You will also need a piece of ribbon the height of your rectangle…my is 2 1/2 inches.

One piece of elastic to wrap around the jar.

sugar dispenser sewing kit

I wrapped it tight around the jar and cut it for a 1/2 inch seam.

sugar dispenser sewing kit

Instructions for the pincushion…


Place the ribbon on the right side of the rectangle, in the center.

sugar dispenser sewing kit

Place the second rectangle on top, right sides together.

sugar dispenser sewing kit

Pin, especially where the ribbon is.

sugar dispenser sewing kit

Sew with a 1/4 inch, but leave an opening for turning on one of the sides. Don't leave the opening where the ribbon is.

sugar dispenser sewing kit

 Turn right side out and iron. Here is the back ribbon side.

sugar dispenser sewing kit

and here is the front.

sugar dispenser sewing kit

Stuff with batting, then sew the opening closed. I just used a little line of hot glue for a quick fix.

sugar dispenser sewing kit

Run the piece of elastic through the ribbon in the back.

sugar dispenser sewing kit

Loop the ends together.

sugar dispenser sewing kit

Pin

sugar dispenser sewing kit

Sew back and forth to secure.

sugar dispenser sewing kit

Stretch the elastic over the jar and you're done!!

sugar dispenser sewing kit

Perfect pincushion for all your pins and needles.

sugar dispenser sewing kit

Now add your spools of thread in the jar.

sugar dispenser sewing kit

and pull the thread up and out the spout.

sugar dispenser sewing kit

Add your scissors and you're good to go!!

This is great to carry to your favorite spot on the couch or near your favorite chair.

Would be perfect in a cup holder in the car too, when hand sewing on long trips.

You will never have your thread rolling under the seat again!!

sugar dispenser sewing kit

You can also use it just as a string dispenser.

Great if you use kitchen twine when cooking.

sugar dispenser sewing kit


sugar dispenser sewing kit

The spout will fit all kinds of string or yarns.

sugar dispenser sewing kit


sugar dispenser sewing kit

I hope you enjoy making a sewing kit for yourself. And remember…always think twice before throwing something away!

Have a great day,
~Karen~

Pin It

13 comments:

  1. Love it, such a great way to re-use an item. I would put talcum powder or cornflour in with the batting just to stop the pins from rusting over time. Thanks for sharing another amazing project. xx hugs from Cape Town. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You never cease to amaze me! Love how your mind works. This is yet another great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such and incredible idea!!!!! And so easy to make!!! You have just triggered my crafty mind!!!
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea ... thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good Morning, Karen,
    I just love a wrist pin cushion. When I taught sewing at the middle school, I put it on first thing in the morning and had pins with me at every station!

    Thanks for sharing your tips. Have a terrific Tuesday. ~Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Karen, you amaze me! How do you ever come up with such clever ideas? You have vision for seeing things in a different light. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love to improvise and use things for a different use. I just have to be in need of something, not have it on hand, then I find something I can use instead. I love the way you can see a use for it first!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Another great idea. I wish my mind worked more like yours.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just love this! Especially having the thread come out of the top. Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment...I just love hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails