Monday, November 18, 2013

Covering Shelves with Vinyl...

Hi  everyone. I know I've shown this closet before. It's in the back hallway, off our kitchen. The original closet had a bi-fold door and was a pain in the narrow hall. I took the door off years ago and used baskets to organize all the "things" everyone in the house is looking for.

More painting has been going on at the house and that lead to the inside of the closet. I looked at the shelves in there and couldn't bear to paint one more thing. I had a small piece of vinyl left over and knew covering the shelves would be much quicker than painting the shelves.

Here's how it turned out…

The open door concept makes it so easy and the bins for everything keeps all of us organized. The bottom bin on the floor holds recycled newspaper and the step stool. This concept may not work if you have small children, because we keep medications in here.

vinyl covered shelves

Come in and see how easy it is to cover the shelves...


I added the shelves to the closet with old wood planks from the basement. They were in rough shape, but didn't want to spend money on wood.

vinyl covered shelves

The vinyl is from Walmart. It comes in lots of patterns. Here is another pattern that I covered my sewing desk with. Click HERE for the tutorial on the desk!

vinyl covered sewing table

Ok, back to the shelves. I only had a small piece of vinyl left so I had to conserve.

vinyl covered shelves

I cut the vinyl to have just enough to cover the edge of the shelf and have about an inch to staple on the back.

vinyl covered shelves


vinyl covered shelves

Fold edge over to the back.

vinyl covered shelves

Then use staple gun to attach.

vinyl covered shelves

Staple along all the sides and then wrap the end cap like a package and staple again.

vinyl covered shelves

Here is the back of all the shelves except the top shelf. I covered the top shelf completely on the back, because you can sees the bottom when the shelf is in the closet.

vinyl covered shelves

This is so much faster than painting!!

vinyl covered shelves

Stapled all five shelves in about 10 minutes.

vinyl covered shelves

So much better than the raw wood I had in there before.

vinyl covered shelves

The vinyl is perfect for sliding the boxes in and out too.





If you're wondering what we keep in here…it's pretty much everything from Advil to matches, bandages to cough drops. If you need it…it's in those bins and everyone knows where to find it.

Again, please don't keep medication on lower shelves if you have children in the home.

vinyl covered shelves


vinyl covered shelves

I hope this tutorial for covering shelves will be helpful for you too!!

Have a great day,
~Karen~

Pin It

6 comments:

  1. This is awesome Karen. I love the organization here. I need to find a spot in my home that I can do something like this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea. Makes a rough shelf smooth too, which is nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohh polka dots! It's like heaven on earth! This so adorable. Plus I love black and white color scheme. This is so creative

    xoxo Zoe
    http://thatszoe.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks awesome. Would not have thought of putting it on shelves

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this idea. Going to take a peek around here for some vinyl as I have a linen closet that needs a bit if tlc. Thank you for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment...I just love hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails