Saturday, October 19, 2013

Use Zip Ties For Mop Handles...

Hi everyone. I am cleaning out our basement and I have been up and down the basement stairs a million times these past few days. I noticed an idea I did a few years ago and thought I would share it with you today. It's a quick and easy idea for your mops and broom handles.

I hang mops, brooms, dust pans, fly swatters etc on the walls going down to our unfinished basement. I just screwed in hooks to the wall. However, ALL handles of mops and brooms have different openings at the top that don't fit the hooks I have on the wall or if they do you have to angle the handle to get it on...very annoying!

Here's my solution. Zip ties to the rescue...

zip ties handles

I love zip ties so much. I use them for everything. I might do a post on all the things I do with them. You can buy them in small packages, but I bought a container in a discount store called Job Lot. It comes in bulk...I think 1000 in all different sizes.

zip ties handles

Come on in and see the simple trick...

Here are some examples of the little openings at the tops of all handles.

Some are small, narrow...

zip ties handles

Round and oval...

zip ties handles

Tall and short. Either way they didn't fit over the hook.

zip ties handles

 Zip ties do though!!

zip ties handles

Just slip the zip tie through the hole in the handle and it locks to the size you decide on. You can also adjust the length you need.

zip ties handles

This is the top of a zip tie. You will need to insert the flat end on the zip tie into the back of the head (the flat part of the left.)

zip ties handles

Place the zip tie into whatever you are using it for, then take the end of the zip tie and insert into the flat part of the head of the zip tie. You will hear clicking. Pull until desired length of the loop you need then stop. It stays locked in place.

Easy Peasy.

zip ties handles

Hope this helps!!

Have a great day,
~Karen~

Pin It

25 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. That hook looks like an octopus that just got into a fight holding up it's tentacles wanting to fight some more!

      Delete
  2. Great idea! I use zip ties for a lot of different things but never thought of doing this. Duhhhh! One of my favorites is to tie a bag shut really tight - like a partly used bag of potting soil. When I'm ready to use it again, I just cut the zip tie. They are cheap and effective.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love zip ties! Most recently we used them to tie off the top of icing decorating bags for my 7-year-old's cake decorating birthday party. They worked great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now why didn't I think of that? :) Great idea, so glad you shared.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE zips! I use them for everything too!!!!
    xo Kris

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very smart! I have tied a string through those holes so I could have the items... but the string sometimes came undone somehow. Using a zip tie is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, why didn't I think of that? So smart!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ingenious as always! I always wait for your posts eagerly!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You's clever! Looking forward to the post on all things zip ties!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rockin' my world as you're prone to do - thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I used big key rings to solve this problem. I'll remember this awesome tip in future. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pinned it------going to do it. This is such a simple idea and a good solution to having to angle brooms etc to get them on the hooks.

      Delete
  12. I love zip ties, too. I use them for so many things.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was just looking for something for hanging my new feather duster. I was told to hang it where it would get sun...that light kills the dust mites! See? I learned TWO things today!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great idea - much better than the elastic bands (which stretch!) and twine that I've been using. I'll be running out to get these tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great idea...I also love your hooks!! There was a funny picture one time with the caption, "Drunk octopus wants to fight..." look at the hooks and get a chuckle for the day!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Zip ties are great! I just used some really long ones to attach a string of outdoor lights to a tree in my backyard for a party. Like you, I bought a big pack for very little money at Target.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this idea! I've never used them before. I don't have any right now, but I might do something similar with twine or something else until I can get some.
    Thanks for sharing this thoughtful idea!

    Laura
    Harvest Lane Cottage

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great idea! I'm looking forward to more zip tie ideas you come up with. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. All your hook needs now is a mouth grunting and showing her teeth.. It looks like a face showing her strong muscles... I love all your ideas... Just recently stumbled across your site looking for something else but haven't read it all yet... Wonderful site!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. great idea. I hate twisting and turning to get the brooms on or off the hooks. off to Job Lot I go..........

    ReplyDelete
  21. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great usage of zip ties i ever utilized.

    Mount Cable Ties

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment...I just love hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails