Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Tool Time Tuesday...Swing Set Quilt Ladder

Hi everyone! Some Tool Time ideas are from stores and others are recycled items. Today's project is recycled, but it's also a piece of the past.

Using an old ladder to display quilts isn't anything new, but it's new to me and this ladder is extra special too!!

It's from the swing set our daughters played on since they were little.

swing set quilt ladder

Today's Tool Time idea is to use things you already have or that are sentimental to display things around your home.

Ladders are great for towels in the bathroom, magazines in the living room, shoes, plants, books etc. Just search for "ladder display ideas" on-line under images or on Pinterest!

I started to take pictures of the swing set after my husband had already removed the fun canopy fort, the swings and bright yellow slide.

swing set quilt ladder

It was Courtney's 9th  birthday present....she just graduated from college!!

We've kept it so long, because we had lots of little nieces and nephews who still liked to play on.

It was a sad day, this summer, when it came down.

swing set quilt ladder

I saw a future for some of the parts though!! I love old weathered wood.

swing set quilt ladder

The floor boards from the fort area will make cute painted signs.

swing set quilt ladder

and this is the ladder to the slide.

swing set quilt ladder

If you want to display quilts or special memories on a wooden ladder, I suggest covering the wooden rungs with something to protect the fabric.

I used a plastic notebook file folder ( cut in half) to protect the quilt.

swing set quilt ladder


swing set quilt ladder


swing set quilt ladder

If you are leaning it against the wall where there might be a lot of traffic, maybe anchor it to the wall with a screw or bracket.


swing set quilt ladder



Here are a couple ideas from Ballard Designs and Pottery Barn respectively.





Remember, Tool Times are about "thinking outside the box". Think twice when buying things or throwing things away!!

Have a great day,
~Karen~

Pin It

15 comments:

  1. Hi Karen,Another great idea!!!I think I ma going to use this one to store my crochet blankets this summer!!!Much better than storing them in bags under the bed!!!Thank you again!!!Have a great day!!!
    Love
    AMarie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I have thought of finding a ladder for a long time. You inspire me to do it now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My neighbor has an old wooden playhouse... their kiddo is our daughters age (23)... I think it's time to help them take that sucker DOWN!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw this idea on pinterest. I didn't have a ladder and couldn't find one for less than $100.00, so my husband found some weathered wood and made me one. I have it in my sewing room with quilts on it and I LOVE it.
    It looks great in your spot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that the ladder came from your daughter's swing set. I'm really enjoying your Tool Time Tuesdays. Another great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cute and love the memories associated with it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't have a spare ladder, but I was thinking I could make a PVC ladder as a towel rack for outside water play (while the weather is still hot).
    You have the most clever ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a clever idea. My husband made me a couple, love using them in the house.
    Now I need to make more quilts to put on them.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic idea--love it! Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  10. Last fall, after having moved my parents to a nursing home several years age, my brother and I were cleaning out their home and outbuildings from the farm we grew up on. Mom and Dad had moved there in the early 50's and the farm had a huge old barn. I saved the ladder from the barn that enabled folks to get up to the haymow. My brother shortened it for me and I am now using it to display quilts. Now, I'll always see it and think of my childhood growing up on the farm. I love it. I made rung holders out of muslin to cover the rungs and protect my quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i was glad to see that you put the plastic down to protect your quilts. i would suggest painting or at least putting a clear coat on it. outdoor wood is treated with arsenic, and while this is old, its still in there.
    lovely display

    ReplyDelete
  12. I always enjoy reading your ideas. Thanks for sharing them with us.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very cute idea Karen. It would be sweet if you can find and frame a picture of the girls playing on the swing set and hang it someplace close to the ladder.

    I would love to see the painted signs you make with the fort floor boards.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my goodness......'great minds'. Last week I had Brad bring my kids' OLD (think mid 70s) bunk bed ladder into the house. Yup....it's got quilts handing on it. hahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my gosh, that is so funny! I too made a quilt ladder this weekend! Except I used the bottom of a crib and added decorative legs! And if you are using a wooden ladder - make sure to paint or seal it or put something between the rungs and the quilts since pressure treated wood can stain fabric over time. Check out the quilt ladder I made this weekend: http://www.quiltedaffair.com/1/post/2013/09/it-was-a-crib-part-3.html

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment...I just love hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails