Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Tool Time Tuesday...Hardware Storage Drawer

Hi everyone! Thanks for stopping by another Tool Time. This past weekend was super crazy. All day Saturday, I cleaned out the girls' closets and part of the basement making room for all their "stuff" that's coming home. We went to their university Sunday to go out for Mother's Day and then packed up their rooms.

When I was cleaning out their closets at home, I found these hardware storage drawers I bought for them when they were little.

You know children (and sometimes mommies) keep little treasures and memories. This drawer system works great for all those special things!!!

hardware storage drawers



These drawers are so versatile and can be used for so many things...

Each storage drawer unit is set up differently, depending on which type you buy. Some have all the drawers the same size, some have a variety of sizes in one box.

hardware storage drawers

The drawers are usually clear plastic and are a great size.

hardware storage drawers

Some come with plastic dividers too.

hardware storage drawers

The divider slips into a groove in each drawer giving you more individual space for different things...increasing your drawer space.

hardware storage drawers

Both Courtney and Kelsie collected their treasures when they're small...here are some of the things I found in Courtney's drawers.

Coin collection...

hardware storage drawers

Hair wrap and name pin from a Disney trip in 1998.

Anyone who has gone to Disney and paid for a hair wrap you know why we save this!! Lol Courtney's wrap was on for a long time, but it slipped right off to save in one piece.

hardware storage drawers

Marbles, jacks and balls...the quintessential kid's game. So cute!

hardware storage drawers

Notes from the tooth fairy and fortunes from fortune cookies...

hardware storage drawers

 Dance award ribbons and little treasures...

hardware storage drawers

and you can't forget the rock collection.

hardware storage drawers


All children "collect", so why not give them a special place for them to store their goodies. The drawers keep the items contained (not all over their room) and safe.


Thanks for  letting me reminisce. She graduating from college on Saturday and I love that we still have these little treasures from her childhood. I have a lump in my throat...



All adults "collect" too, so why not try hardware storage drawers for you too!!

Here are some suggestions for what you can store in your drawers...to help, don't forget to label the drawers to make it easier to find things.

  • threads and bobbins
  • all your different sized sewing machine needles
  • beads for jewelry making
  • all the little scrap booking doo dads 
  • your person jewelry
  • hair accessories...clips, bobby pins, elastics, ribbons, scrunchies
  • all your different make-up items
  • if you do cake decorating...all the tips and accessories
  • embroidery floss collection
  • office supplies
  • fishing or lure supplies
  • all different sized batteries
  • button collection divided by color
  • small medicine cabinet...great to keep high up on a shelf away from little hands, but still organized
  • manicure and nail polish things
  • general crafting supplies
  • small collections
  • and let's not forget nuts, bolts, screws, nails in the hardware drawer!!

Hope you are inspired to get a hardware drawer of your own!!

Happy Tuesday,
~Karen~


Pin It

18 comments:

  1. Good idea! I took an old drawer like that and gave it a makeover for my quilt studio:
    http://varmvit.blogspot.se/2013/02/i-vantan-pa-ett-malarrum.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi There, You won't believe it but for once I have one of these clever storage units already working for me!!! I keep all my scrapbook embellishments in there and it's right at hand on top of my desk!!!I have several stacked on top of each other!!!Very, Very handy!!!
    Have a great week!!!!
    Love
    AMarie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another great idea for all my bits and bobs, I took your idea for storing my fabric in a closet shoe storage hangar and now have 3 for bright, dark and neutrals.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, I have several of these around the house. One is the Go To place to find just the right brad, nail, screw, hook etc.

    My craft space has three...and there is one in the bathroom closet.
    Thanks for the list of more ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've had TWO of these stacked on top of each other for YEARS - so many years that I cannot count! They have been on my sewing table (counter) for as long as I can remember. I LOVE them, will not part with them and highly suggest them. If I could share a pic of the two of them, I would. Too funny that they're still around, LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. The former home owner of our current home left a couple of those in the garage. Some drawers were missing. No bother to me. I scrubbed them up and filled them with my sewing machine attachments for my collection of machines. The larger spaces with missing drawers I left at the top to hold box sets of attachments. It works out beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a trip down memory lane for you! :) These do make great storage units! My husband has several in his shop and I have a small one in my sewing room. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this idea Karen, I will have to sneak out to the shed and see if there are any spare!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting seeing an old American $2.00 bill. I also have one tucked away. I miss our Canadian one and to dollar bills, the loonies and twoonies are great but they get heavy fast. It is fun finding out your have more money than you think when you count your change though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have two large ones of these drawer organizers. One is full of buttons sorted by color and the other one has assorted sewing and quilting things that I use. Thanks for sharing the idea of giving one of these to my grandchildren to hold there special collectibles.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this idea!..I have millions of brads, buttons and so on and so on...lol perfect drawers to organize the different colors!..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this!

    Love your blog!

    I would love for you to share your favorite posts and link up at my TGIF Link Party.
    http://apeekintomyparadise.blogspot.com/2013/05/tgif-link-party-2.html
    The party opens Thursday night and closes on Wednesday night at midnight.

    Please, invite your friends to party too! The more the merrier!

    Hugs, Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have one of these, a very ancient one, in the basement. You're going to hate me but I use it for ... hardware. Screws, nuts and bolts, glue for the glue gun, picture hanging equipment, nails of various sizes. I forget what all I have in it. Every so often, I clean off the work bench on which it sits and rearrange the drawers and their contents to be more intuitive, whatever that means. So, in addition to collectables, you can put hardware in it. (giggle)

    ReplyDelete
  14. In cold places the storage facilities are quite necessary for keeping your things safe from external environment.
    self storage in Wynnum

    ReplyDelete
  15. I bought one of these at an estate sale and it has been sitting empty. I am inspired. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I use one of those to store all my herbs and spices in! I put them in snack size baggies and then lay them in the drawer. I use Avery labels to print the labels out and they are stored alphabetically. The herbs I keep in a larger amount or that are bulkier I keep in the larger drawers at the bottom (of the particular unit I purchased from Kmart).

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just had to share what your post helped me find and organize. :) I'm not much of a sewing person, but I'm apparently very girly and somewhat crafty, haha

    http://andicandyy.blogspot.com/2013/08/my-new-makeup-storage.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm so in love with this idea and can't wait to find three for our kiddos.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment...I just love hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails