Saturday, March 16, 2013

Easy Lined Curtains from a Duvet Cover...Just Two Lines of Sewing

Hi everyone! I had mentioned before Christmas that I was painting my daughter Courtney's room gray. Well, I painted the gray primer coat and there it sat all through Christmas. I finally finished the final coat, but not all of the sewing for the room.

She wanted yellow accents for pillows and things. I did find some cute yellow chevron fabric for pillows, but didn't want to spend a lot of money on fabric for curtains...there are 2 windows in her room and I like the curtains long. I would need 12 yards of fabric (3 yards per panel) and 12 yards of lining. At $10-$12 per yard for decorator fabric plus the cost of the lining, I definitely did not want to spending $150 for curtains that I was going to sew myself.

Here is my super duper cheap...easy to sew lined curtain idea.

Duvet Covers...I bought these at Target a couple months ago for $30 for each set. The duvet set comes with 2 pillow shams too!! Woo Hoo.  So for $60.00 I have 2 windows dressed with lined curtains and 4 pillow shams that match.

duvet for curtains

This is the easiest project for you to sew. It just takes 2 lines of straight stitching!!



I bought full/queen because of the size I needed. The duvet is 86 inches long and 92 inches wide. I figured the 86 inches was perfect for the length and I would cut the 92 inches in half (lengthwise) to make 2 panels, one on each side of the window.

duvet for curtains


duvet for curtains



A duvet is like a jumbo pillow case for a quilt or comforter you already have. It's sewn on all three side and has buttons or ties all across the bottom.


The duvet is printed fabric on one side (pretty in the room) and a white gray on the back (great for lining). Just be aware of what the back of your duvet looks like, because that will be showing on the outside of your house. The fabric for this one was kind of silky, but in a polyester way. Lol It's definitely not cotton.

duvet for curtains


duvet for curtains


The first step to making the curtain is to lay the duvet out on the floor and smooth out the wrinkles. You could iron it first if you want.

duvet for curtains

Luckily for me the manufacturer folded it directly in half, so I just cut it up the middle. You should measure first to make sure it's equal on both sides.

duvet for curtains


After you cut it into 2 halves, that opening will be the side you'll turn it right side in.

duvet for curtains


After you have turned it right side together, match the seams and pin.

duvet for curtains


Sew all the way from the top to the bottom on the sides that you cut. Don't leave an opening. Remember the bottom of the duvet is buttoned or has ties, so that will be the opening you will be using to turn it right sides out once you sew up the sides.

duvet for curtains


duvet for curtains


Open up the buttons and turn right side out. Iron out the wrinkles and seams and you are DONE.

duvet for curtains

Here are some pictures of them hanging. Her room was difficult to take pictures...bright sunlight coming in the window made the curtains and the walls look so dark.

duvet for curtains

I used the rod and clip system, so all I had to do was clip the top of the duvet and I was done. One tip for which end of the duvet. If your duvet has pretty buttons or ties that show, maybe that would work for a decorative feature near the top. If not, just clip the plain stitched end of the curtain.

duvet for curtains

It would be easy to use a rod through a pocket though. You could run a length of stitching 2 inches below the top seam and then open up the sides a little to allow the rod to fit through.

You could also sew a band of fabric or ribbon on the back side, kind of like a hidden pocket for the rod.

duvet for curtains


Hope you can use duvet covers for your next curtain project. It doesn't get any easier than this!!

I also have other tutorials for curtains...

Click HERE for a How to Make Lined Drapes

Click HERE for an easy window valence.

Happy Sewing,
~Karen~

Pin It

35 comments:

  1. What a creative solution. I always hate paying the price for window coverings. I'll be in the market for clearance aisle duvet covers now.

    Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love what you did ~ very creative!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A wonderful, time-saving, money-saving idea! I love to read your blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Creative, clever, thrifty and so generous to share with others, that's why we love your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that idea of using a duvet cover as curtains. I might just do that next time I need curtains.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea Karen definitely be trying this one. I hate the paying all that money for curtains.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's just the greatest idea!!! Thanks, Karen! I'm sure I will use this!
    Love, Ria.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Where are the buttons, on the top? Can you only use clips with this? So pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great idea Karen.....and they really pop against the dark grey wall....great color combo...

    TFS
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  10. How did you attach it to the rod? Did you run shower curtain rings through the buttonholes?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Brilliant! I use sheets to make duvet covers and valances (unlined) but never thought of this! Those rod clips make life so easy, too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great Idea! I am always using sheets and tablecloths for other purposes. The dust ruffle in my room is from a table cloth and the curtains are sheets with an band of the table cloth fabric. Home decor fabrics are so expensive, you have to look for other sources. Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  13. una idea de lo mas original lo tendre en cuenta cuando vea una oferta de fundas un saludo maria,

    ReplyDelete
  14. Okay! Now I'm trying to think of which room(s) need new curtains!!!! Thanks for sharing this (seamingly) creative idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I meant to say (seamingly simple)as you make things look so simple to do!!! Hopefully it won't be too hard for me!

      Delete
  15. I have always used sheets to make curtains since I use duvet covers but not the sheets. But this way its super easy n I can have matching cushions. Ummm discounted duvet sets here I come!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love it, but I am also wondering if you used clips to attach to the curtain rod?

    ReplyDelete
  17. They look GREAT! I used an old duvet cover to cover three shades in Baby's room. Then I used the two matching shams to cover the cushions on the window seat. Here's the post I did on it: http://rindymae.blogspot.com/2012/01/babys-room-fabric-covered-shades.html
    The lined curtains are a great idea. I'll definitely be keeping my eyes open for cheap ones for projects from now on!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am making linen curtains for my bedroom. I was lucky enough to get a 50% off coupon that even worked for on sale fabric! But even then I paid $100 for 19 yards of linen..but they are going to look so pretty! I love your curtain idea and I would love to have thought of that myself before laying out the cash for fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is a great idea. We have purchased a new bed so I am on the hunt for a new duvet. Thanks so much for the inspiration.
    Traci

    ReplyDelete
  20. fabulous idea.......can't wait to go shopping and buy my new "curtains"

    ReplyDelete
  21. Way to go Karen! Fantastic idea. I love your simple instructions.

    Happy Sewing!
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  22. You're freaki' brilliant!! How in the world your mind thinks so far out of the box is amazing. I wish I could hang out with you so a little would rub off on me. :) I shared your idea on Pintrest where I know will be lots of people who like this idea too.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great idea! I have been looking for a contemporary print in white and a softer yellow to no avail. Now I have another source to check out. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a fabulous idea! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is genius; thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm also wondering how you attached the curtains to the rod. I'll have to keep this idea in mind because our master bedroom has 5 windows that need curtains! Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a great idea!!! Love the way it looks!!! Love your blog, too!!! ; )

    ReplyDelete
  28. I have used sheets to make many projects in my home. There is just something about the pattern on sheets that you just can't find in material by the yard. I use printed sheets for what will be seen on the inside of the room and a solid color for the back.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I just love your idea to make a eyelet curtains from duvet cover. This is really money, time saving ideas.
    I just love it!!!
    Keep sharing like this

    ReplyDelete
  30. Great explanation about this topic and i am new guy to this job thanks to sharing the wonderful articles.This is an interesting post. It is also a helpful resource. Great topic, thanks for taking such good care of this website!
    Curtains

    ReplyDelete
  31. I have a question...would it be possible to sew the duvet together by hand? I don't own a sewing machine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1. With the Right sides together, use a straight stitch and sew up the long sides and the top, leaving the short remaining side open.

      2. Turn it right-side out, and press the edges of the open side toward the inside.

      3. If you are using Velcro to close the last side, then place the pieces across from each other and pin into place. Sew down with a straight stitch in the shape of a cross.

      4. If you are using ties to close the last side, then place the ties across from each other and pin into place. Sew down with a straight stitch in the shape of a cross and make sure to knot the loose ends.

      5. Insert the Duvet, and try it on!

      Best of Luck,

      Ravika

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment...I just love hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails