Thursday, October 25, 2012

Thrifty Thursday...Placemat Sewing Caddy

Hello everyone...it's Thrifty Thursday again. The day we try to use things we have around the house. I just recently started Thrifty Thursday, but you can click HERE if you missed the other posts.

Today's project is an Armchair Sewing Caddy...made from a placemat you have tucked in a drawer not being used.



Start with any placemat.


This one happens to be quilted, but not necessary.



Fold over the short ends to create little pockets.


I folded the ends over about 3 inches.


Just sew on the original stitches from the placemat edge.


All 4 sides sewn


Now decide how many individual pockets you would like.


I sewed 2 lines on each side to make 3 pockets.


All Done!! Just drape over the arm of a chair, couch or your favorite sewing spot.


Drapes over the arm with pockets on both sides.


Pockets can hold thread, scissors, rulers


Cell phone, eye glasses, television clicker etc.


 You can use the top of the placemat for a pincushion or...


Make a little one to add to the top. This is one I made a long time ago from a bottle cap. Click HERE for that tutorial.


Use 2 part of Velcro to attached it to the sewing caddy.



Placemat Sewing Caddy...easy peasy, because you are starting with something that's already finished. You're just adding a few straight line stitches to change it up.

Have fun designing your own sewing caddy to suit your needs!!

Happy Thrifty Thursday,
~Karen~

Pin It

28 comments:

  1. Great idea! I bet you could make a pincushion out of a pot holder, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Morning Karen, Your creativity never ends, I'm always amazed at the wonderful ideas you come up with. I love this one and I have a couple of friends who would enjoy receiving this as a gift. Thank you for the idea. Best Wishes Daphne

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a great idea: simple and very effective. I keep it in mind, but have no place mats at the moment :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have finalized my decision...time to make a "look for" list. I will put the placemat or two at the top of my list, along with the possibility of matching potholders (thank you Grammasheri). I will post a copy next to my computer to refer to when reading Freecycle offerings and I will put a copy in my purse for trips to the thrift store or summer garage sales. Thank you! As someone else said, your creativity just amazes me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dollar Tree here carries placemats. Just a thought.

      Delete
  5. This surely is a lot easier than making one from scratch and it recycles to boot. Thanks for the great idea .... wish I could have thought of it myself, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Karen... love this idea! Can't wait to have a chair to craft in like that! I can find an old placemat or make one just for this purpose! Thanks for sharing :) Kathi

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am also thinking that as chunky as some of the arm rests are today that maybe a shorter table runner would also work. You could do the deeper pockets for the tv remotes and a magazine or tv guide. Just a thought. Love reading your blog. http://tinkartist.blogspot.com/ Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is genius! I'm making this for sure! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A wonderful idea. You have a great mind. Genius!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fantabulous idea Karen!! These would make a great gift for the sewer in your life too. Or if you make some of the pockets a little more narrow, for the knitter and crocheter too! If you wanted only one side, you could add weights to the other to keep it in place. Oh the possibilities!! You are a mastermind!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My SIL does a lot of hand sewing (I personally HATE to hand sew!!) so I think I will make her up one of these today. Great idea, thanks for sharing it :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is an amazing idea! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you so much, Karen! What a great idea. I made an armchair caddy for a friend and it was a lot of figuring, cutting, and measuring! I wasn't going to go to that trouble for myself, but this idea is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Again I think "why didn't I think of that". What a neat idea.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very Creative! I am going to make one tonight! I am constantly losing my scissors in the couch cushions!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very nice idea...I like the sections for organization and that it's handy to fold and carry!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful idea! I like the way you think...thrifty!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I shared this on my blog www.crosson5.blogspot.com. I hope that is ok. I just posted the link to your site. Please sign up and follow my blog. I enjoy reading yours. Thanks:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fantastic idea - I NEED to make one .........

    ReplyDelete
  20. As always, a super project! Thanks Karen x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Fantastic idea! My sister sewed me a set of placemats and I was just thinking of sewing a caddy for my chair. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. A great idea! I often see beautiful place mats that I want, but don't need--now I may just have to choose some to make gifts for sewing friends.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I look forward to your creativity every time you post a new idea. thank you so much. You are my favorite tutor!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you, what a great idea. Love it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment...I just love hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails