Monday, July 25, 2011

Make A Gift On The 25th Club...Scarf Tutorial

Happy Christmas in July!! A little while ago I did a post explaining the "Make a Gift on the 25th Club". Click HERE to read all about it. In short, for the next five month on the 25th day of each month, anyone who joins the club will make a gift for someone on your Christmas list.

If you have a blog, you can post about it, but the person you're making the gift for might see it, so at some point during the week of the 25th, I will have a linking party so you can share your picture of the gift you are making. A linking party is the same as my Sew Darn Crafty party I have on Sundays...great inspiration.  

I know there are a lot of proCRAFTinators out there like me who wait until the last minute to make gifts, this club will help put that habit to an end.

Join the club, put this button on your blog as a reminder and just have fun in the process. I know timing is everything, so if you can't do it exactly on the 25th...we're giving ourselves the week of the 25th. Try to get it done and put it away. We all have those UFOs hiding in the closet...a UFO is an Un Finished Object. Maybe on the 25th we can finish some of those!!

Put on some Christmas music, get out your sewing machine, glue gun, beads, bobbles and patterns...WE'RE MAKING SOME GIFTS!!




To help you get started, here is a tutorial for an endless scarf. I shared this pattern for a guest post I did on Stash Manicure. This is made of cotton, but any fabric would work...fashion fabric would be more flowey.





Here's a Grab and Go tutorial for an endless scarf. I finally figured out how to make one of these by trial and error. More errors than trials! Grab one yard of fabric and cut it to 30" x 36". You can use your cotton fabric, but fashion fabric works great for this too.


Take your piece of fabric and lay it out with the 36 inches going left to right and the 30 inches going top to bottom. Fold in half, right sides together and sew the length of the 36 inches with a 1/4 inch seam.



Here's a close up of the seam.


You should now have a tube that is 15" x 36".


Reach into the tube and grab the other end of the open ended tube and bring it towards you. Wow, that was a mouthful.


Here is a picture of both ends of the tube.


You should end up with 2 sets of fabric right sides together.



Match the one seam that you sewed.


Pin the seam and then pin all the way around the circle.


Leave an opening to turn the scarf right side out. I leave it open as big as my hand, so it will fit in there to grab the fabric.


Here's the opening...



Sew with a 1/4" seam all the way around (except the opening) and then turn right side out.


Machine or hand sew the opening closed.



You now have an endless cowl neck scarf or a fabric donut!


Perfect gift you can make in a day. You can make lots of them too...always good to have that spare gift on hand for friends, teachers, babysitters etc.




Glad you can join the Make a Gift on the 25th,
~Karen~

15 comments:

  1. that is fantastic i think i will be making quite a few thanks :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great scarf. I think I'll make some, as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The scarf looks great - and so simple! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the tutorial. Looks simple to make. That means I'll be making some!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So funny Karen, this is what I planned to make tonight, and found a beautiful silk dress at the thrift store to make into a couple scarves. I love your version. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much! This is a great tutorial for something that I've wanted to make for a long time. I love your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is gorgeous! I will just have to try this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. i have made the first one and i love it.....................think it will be mine :))

    ReplyDelete
  9. If you turn one of the fabric tubes a half turn before you stitch (match seam to fold), you will end up with a twisted scarf & no one will be able to figure out how you did it. And it drapes better, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. what would happen if you cut it on the bias?

    ReplyDelete
  11. A wonderful accessory - and a great stocking stuffer. An ingenious way to put those fabric scraps to use, too.

    www.sewinginsight.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have no idea how happy I am to find this tutorial. It looks so attractive, and I have several to make as part of a uniform, over what they wear to be recognised as belonging to the same group.

    I will look around for a matching Male wrap around the waist/Cummerbund, but I am thinking something easy to make.

    Any Ideas please Karen. The sizes will go from very large to small, so something that will be easy and yet stay tidy, I did not think tying a knot would do it, but as it is mainly for photos, maybe the back can have elastic.

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment...I just love hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails