Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Tool Time Tuesday...Organize Your Scrap Notes

I keep a little note pad on my desk, right next to my computer. When ever I have a thought or an idea, or a "To Do" like a favorite blog to visit, shopping list or an important note...I jot it down on the note pad. However, those little papers are usually scattered all around my computer.

So here's my solution. I found this wooden corner rosette moulding at Home Depot for $1.47. Click here for the link to Home Depot (I have no affiliation to Home Depot, just passing along the item number)




You will need a long, thicker nail or spike and a drill bit that is about the same size as your nail...maybe a little smaller.



My nail is 4 inches long and about 3/8" wide.


Drill the hole directly in the center. I didn't drill this on my desk...just took the picture here for better light. I learned my lesson from stamping that "S" on my desk!!


Drill straight through.



Now the bottom of the hole that you just drilled needs to accommodate the head of the nail. I just used the drill at an angle to drill it out, but there is a drill bit that will make that space for you or your hubby can do it for you too.



Insert the nail so the pointy part is facing up. That nail isn't as sharp as it looks and I don't have small children around, so take that into consideration when making one for yourself.



See how the nail head is flush with the bottom of the wood block. That way it lays flat on the desk.



I covered it with a layer of hot glue to not only keep it in place, but make it smooth so it won't scratch my desk. You can also cover the bottom with felt.



Now just take all your "To Do's" and spike them on the nail.



Just make sure you don't spike the words!



Now all the notes are in one place. I can remove and flip through at any time, but they're still nice and neat on my desk...and cute too!





This desk is usually scattered with little notes...now it's not so bad.



Have a great Tuesday and don't forget to link up your projects at my Sew Darn Crafty Linking Party.
space
~Karen~

24 comments:

  1. pardon me, but this is me drooling over your oh-so-cool and clean and neat and organized (lol) desk and office. Wow! Thank you for sharing! Now, don't mind me ... I'm just gonna sit here and gaze at all the loveliness for a while .... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen, una idea genial para que no se te olvide nada. Un beso

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been wanting to do this (read: get DH to do it) to a wooden cutting board to stab veggies when I chop them (I have the use of only one hand). With your pictures I'll be able to explain to my husband better exactly what I want. Thank you so much! Oh! If the nail is sharp, a person could keep the tip covered with a knitting needle saver or a tiny piece of wood or a bead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is clever, but your work station looks clean compared to mine...I need to come and take lessons from you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's cute. I literally cannot see the wooden surface of my desk right now for all the papers and books piled on it. Whenever I clear the surface, I make an announcement, "I found the desk!"

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am an incurable note writer so this is a great idea for me. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't seen one of these in years and years! They used to be fairly common. Some things should never go out of style.

    I need to make one of these for home and one for the office.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Karen that's pretty cute and clever too. I'd probably use it for all my debit card receipts. I like to verify them against my bank balance when I do my banking online and have to shuffle through my purse and wallet to collect them all since I only do it once every couple of weeks. I have a pile of them now collecting on my counter top.

    Gail :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I use a note pad too and writing things down as I think of them, but then I lose the notes, lol.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful idea! I have a huge mess of notes and receipts on my desk. I can see myself making 2 of them to corral the mess! Thanks for the great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's an excellent idea! i found a wooden cube with an open top in a thrift shop that's about 4.5 inches on each side. I toss my notes in there. The front of the box had a Christmas design painted on it, but I painted over it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Brilliant! My scattered notes are my hubby's pet peeve - what a great solution!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is so darling, but I have found that a "Steno" pad holds my notes and then I have an archive of messages/thoughts/plans by my computer.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great idea! So simple but really effective, thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a clever idea, Karen. So simple, but it looks so nice. I always have little notes spread all over the place. Then I consolidate into one big list and start collecting little notes all over again.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the idea! I featured it on my blog today, please feel free to pop over and check it out!
    Jen

    http://jen-simplyliving.blogspot.com/2011/02/stuff-i-like-sunday-5.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love what you did with organizing the office it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I read somewhere that you keep one of these by the front door to stab and save all receipts... So I've been trying to find one ever since... Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  19. THANK YOU, THANK YOU , THANK YOU!!! Paper clutter around my sewing area has been my greatest delema...Now I know how to conquor it

    ReplyDelete
  20. THANK YOU, THANK YOU , THANK YOU!!! Paper clutter around my sewing area has been my greatest delema...Now I know how to conquor it

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment...I just love hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails