Sunday, December 12, 2010

Christmas Home Tour 2010...

I have been collecting Christmas decorations for over 25 years. I add a little bit each year with after Christmas sales. I use the same decorations over and over, but in a different way each year, so it looks like something new.

We have several trees in the house...7 right now, 2 more to go which I'll share later on. I had a ladies dessert party last weekend, so I started decorating the house the day after Thanksgiving. My family is coming here for Christmas this Saturday the 18th, so I'm all set.

Here is a picture heavy post of this year's decorations...Enjoy!

When I was putting this tree together, I knew I wanted to use the big green balls and red. I kept adding and adding the more things I found in boxes. The only thing I added that was new this year are the sprigs of green fuzzy flowers I found in the floral department of Walmart...only $2.00 a bunch! I knew when I was finished this would be the Cindy Lou Who Tree from The Grinch Who Stole Christmas.












Here's the matching mantel next to the tree.



The red glitter sign says...Believe!















This is a woodsy pine cone tree in the family computer room.



Covered with berries, pine cones, red cardinals, birds nests, old fashioned candles clipped to the branches, apples...






This is my new Charlie Brown Tree my mother in law just gave me last night. Isn't it just the cutest!! It came with Linus' blanket! I put it on the small table where I serve the egg nog.



The china cabinet becomes The Dickens Village.







All the greenery on the stairways, windows, mantels etc are branches from our old 12 foot Christmas tree. We replaced it 2 years ago, but I kept all the branches and use them all around the house.



Sugared fruit that I use every year in different place. Here's a tip...if you have artificial fruit, keep it out of the attic or your basement. The change in temperature will crack the fruit.



Here's a picture of the hook that would go into the trunk of the artificial tree. A perfectly placed bow hides all that!














Here is a tip to hide art work that might not match your holiday decor. Use a 3M Command strip to hold a wreath. I used a burlap theme in the family room, so I used chair strapping for bows. I searched every where for this and thankfully my sister had some!!



For this, I used heavy duty wire to shape the letters and then covered it with garland.





Here are 2 branches from the old tree with the hooks facing inward...instant window swag.



Along with the burlap, I used all galvanized things in this room. Those bells are from the dollar store.



A galvanized bird cage...



with a touch of Christmas!



Punch bowl all set to be filled.



I had a snowflake tree one year and now I'm using them to decorate all the burlap tablecloths



This is the wine station on top of the bar. Believe it or not we don't drink wine...just never acquired a taste for it, but I love all the pretty glasses.



Galvanized buckets hold the white wine...just waiting for all the ice.



Here's another use for that circle cutter that I've been addicted to lately.



Name markers to keep track of your glass.



I cut the larger circle, punched smaller holes with a regular hole punch and then cut a slit so it can wrap around the glass stem.



The wine glasses are all set with their little tags.





Another table is set up for all the other drinks. Say hi to Annie back there in the picture. She wants to come to the party too.



Bottled water in an old bucket.



Rein-Beer...I saw this idea some where in blog land...too cute! Hot glued eyes, red nose and then brown pipe cleaner for the antlers.



Soda bottles in a large galvanized tub from Home Depot. I bought these a few years ago for $13.00 for our summer parties. For Christmas, I used the other 2 for the buckets under the trees.



Table all set for the desserts.





More of those $1.00 sleigh bells on the lamps.



A little snowflake added to the point of the table runner.


Aren't these little buffet plates adorable? A rectangle plate and small cup completes the set.



I found them in a consignment shop. They are from the 1950's and are made by Anchor Hocking. I keep searching for more.



This is our family room tree...12 feet high! This is filled with every ornament we buy for the girls each year, all the ones we receive as gifts, the ones we buy on vacations or special trips and all the creations the girls made when they were little. This is my favorite tree.



Every inch is jam packed...3 large Rubbermaid containers full of ornaments.



Each and every one has a special meaning.























This tree is in our bedroom. It is our original tree from when we were first married 23 years ago. All the ornaments are my mom's. She had a large collection of Steinbach ornaments...the little people with wonderful little costumes on. I put this tree up every year in memory of her.







I used my $2.50 tree skirt and stocking tutorial in here. The green matches perfectly.



This tree is in my husband's office. It's a replica of the tree he had growing up. Large colored lights, silver garland, colored glass ornaments and tinsel...always his favorite.





This is Courtney's silver tree. The color of her wall is coming across peach in the picture, but they are as hot pink as her curtains. The pink looks great with the silver.



Silver balls, my mom's silver angel collection, silver garland and white/silver glitter curly springy things popping out all over.



Kelsie has the purple room and a sweet tooth!



Her's is covered with purple balls, springy things and artificial gum drops and candy all over the tree. Plus a real popcorn garland.



and lastly the girl's bathroom...just a couple silver trees that were on clearance a few years ago at Walmart.


They are super shiny in person...a little dark in this picture.



Silver ornaments added to each hook of the shower curtain for a special added touch.





Hope you enjoyed the tour. If I finish the other 2 trees, I'll be sure to share them with you.
spaceBig Holiday Hugs,
~Karen~

89 comments:

  1. wow, I'm tired from just reading this, WOW you go all out... good for you, give us competition!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Karen! These are gorgeous pictures, I'm sure your house looks even better in person! Makes me want to come over for cocoa and cookies. I love the dishes and the wine bar. What fabulous inspiration, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I don't even put up a tree! What a lovely home, that just oozes Christmas. I love each and every tree - such treasured memories for you and your family. Such a spectacular visit with all your lovely photos - thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful decorations Karen! How fun to have a tree up in every room. I have those same buffet plates, my dear mother-inlaw gave them to me many years ago. It's nice to see that you enjoy them also.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is unbelievable! I love the american christmas style!!! We are in Germany have only one tree in our house (ok but a real one :) ). It looks so great, like a little fairytale. How long do you need for decorating your house in this way?

    ReplyDelete
  6. So many trees, my house isn't that big to put all those trees in it. But I love the tour, I really enjoyed it

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tienes unos adornos de navidad preciosos y la casa está maravillosa y se vé muy alegre con todas las cosas tan bonitas que le has puesto. Un besote

    ReplyDelete
  8. O. M. G Karen, that is amazing. Your house is like a Christmas wonderland - I would kill to be coming to that party! It all looks so gorgeous, I cannot believe you have that many trees! Each one divine. How do you manage to do all that yourself? You must get some elves in to help you?
    Thanks so much for the tour, very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just one word: WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I generally decorate 2 large trees and think I've outdone myself. You are amazing and your home is beautiful and so festive for the holidays. Thanks for such a delightful tour!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks great! The red and green tree is my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Holy cow! You really go all out. It is so beautiful! How do you feel about taking it all down again? That is the hard part for me. I love them all... but especially the Cindy Lou Who tree.

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW! I think your house is the prettiest one on the Internet!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great way to repurpose an old tree! I'll do that next year! Gorgeous home, thanks for the tour!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, your trees are gorgeous. Do you have a spare house to store everything in? :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Julia and I had so much fun at your dessert party! Your house looks even more amazing in person. Where are you going to put 2 more trees?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Karen!!!!!
    7 árboles??? 12 metros???? Guauuuu...Cómo he disfrutado con tu post!!!
    Qué maravillosa casa...cuántos detalles!!!
    GORGEOUS HOME!!!

    Thanks to showing us!!!

    Kisses,

    Martina.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Karen....el traductor me ha jugado una mala pasada!!! jajajja... Son casi 4 metros! No 12!!!
    Me parecía demasiado...aún así..es enorme!!
    SORRY!!!

    Kisses,

    Martina.

    ReplyDelete
  19. WOW WOW WOW!!!
    Beautiful home and great ideas!
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Karen, your house looks amazing!!! Your decorating is fabulous...thanks for the tour..
    Merry Christmas..

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful!!!! Every corner is just beautiful! I love the way you decorate. Thanks for showing.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Coming over from Kelly's Korner...you have beautiful decorations!!!! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow! I'm impressed with all those different themed trees. Have a Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautifully done! TONS of inspiration here. SO glad I found you, via The Nester! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Beautiful! Everything looks so lovely! I'll be back to visit for sure...Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow! Beautiful! And wat for a work!

    Merry Christmas from switzerland

    Maira

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow, you've thought of everything. I love the unexpected touches , like the balls on the shower curtain. Very creative!

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a wonderful tour! Thank you for sharing the photos. Such creativity! Just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Enjoyed the tour. Everything looks beautiful!
    Merry Christmas

    Darlis

    ReplyDelete
  30. So stunning! Makes me feel like the grinch for complaining about decorating. Thanks for sharing. http://mullismemories.blogspot.com
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  31. Beautiful trees and decorations! But I'm exhausted from reading all this! I don't know how you do it.

    ReplyDelete
  32. WOW! What a beautiful set of trees you have! The tour was fabulous! I love all the trees! My favorite is the cindy lou who tree! Thanks for sharing!
    Blessings,

    ReplyDelete
  33. Simply stunning!

    I have many of those buffet plates, some match your pattern and some are different. I think I have four patterns all together. I use them for ladies teas, etc....

    ReplyDelete
  34. I absolutely love how you decorate!

    ReplyDelete
  35. What a wonderful post. Your decorating is fabulous! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Wow, just beautiful! I love the silver balls idea on the shower curtain :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. Beautiful home and decorations! The next time my husband groans at digging out my Christmas things I'm going to tell him about all your trees! We decorate each room with something but I've only been collecting since Dec. 2000.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Great decorating! I love the trees in the buckets and your mantel. The rein-beer are pretty cute, too!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Everything is just beautiful...looks like you are all ready to host the neighborhood Christmas party! But my very favorite thing out of all that gorgeous stuff is the Charlie Brown Christmas tree! with Linus's blanket around the bottom no less! I just love it! I might have to get me one of those!

    MGM

    ReplyDelete
  40. Your trees and other decorations are lovely, just as they were last year! I do OFTEN wonder--Do you ever Sleep?!

    ReplyDelete
  41. You have been VERY BUSY!! I loved it all! So glad I stopped in! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  42. love the ornaments on the shower curtain, the big silver bucket under the first tree and most especially the family tree of all the personal ornaments! off to work on trimming my tree some more. :) Thanks for the tour. Kelly

    p.s. I used to have one of those anchor hocking plates and it broke. I think the circles are so fun. Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  43. your home looks beautiful, love how festive it is! the different "looks" you have going on are so fun :) i'm the same way when it comes to after christmas shopping for decor -- except i've only begun (just got married this past june) but its super fun to find the leftover treasures :)

    ReplyDelete
  44. Thank you for the magical tour of your wonderland! I loved seeing all of your Christmas treasures! Just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  45. I love everything you've done. The Who tree is my favorite. You have done a fabulous job! I'm sure it was a lot of work but totally worth it.
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  46. Oh my goodness. This is the most beautiful Christmas display I have ever seen. Well done. Thank you for all the wonderful photos and sharing of memories. I am saving this post for inspiration when my Christmas cheer is low.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Oh Karen! Your trees are just beautiful! It was like walking thru the Better Homes and Garden Christmas edition! Thanks so much for sharing. Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  48. absolutely stunning home!!! Im your newest follower and looking forward to reading and getting inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  49. Wow, it is all so marvelous! I hope you've inspired me to get my 3rd tree up and suprise the boys with a treat in their bathrooms for tonight!!

    ReplyDelete
  50. You truly do have a talent for decorating! I can't imagine how long it took you to pull it all together. However long it was, it's worth it!

    I think my favorite thing is the candy canes in lieu of a tree topper!

    ReplyDelete
  51. You can come to my house now and decorate for me now. I love all the different tree decor ideas, but my fave in your house is the glittery, pretty greens and reds that match your mantle and compliment the brick nicely. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  52. I thoroughly enjoyed touring your very festive and beautiful home. That is a lot of trees!!

    ReplyDelete
  53. hello! I'm new to your blog :) I found it while looking around on tipjunkie for christmas crafts. These pictures of your home decor were so pretty that I looked around for a while on your blog and I must say.. I am just blown away! You are so creative! I am so inspired by all your craftiness!! You are a great artist :) Your blog is definitely a new favorite! Keep it up!
    -Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  54. Wow, so many beautiful things. The trees are amazing and I love the JOY wreath. It's all so festive.

    ReplyDelete
  55. That is incredible Karen! You are so talented!!!
    Merry Christmas1

    ReplyDelete
  56. Love the decorations! The first tree is sooo cute- I love how its in a bucket! And the matching mantle garland is just fabulous :) Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  57. I love how many trees you have!!!! The first one is so cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  58. Karen, thanks so much for sharing !! Your house must look just beautiful.... 7 Christmas trees??? That is a lot of work, but I bet it is worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  59. You are very good at decorating! I enjoyed looking around!!

    ReplyDelete
  60. I have been disappointed in a lot of the blog land homes. Yours is exceptionally wonderful. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  61. Everything is just gorgeous! I love your decor style!

    ReplyDelete
  62. OK!?! How long did this take?? Looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  63. Holy cow! You decorate so beautifully, but the one photo I had to comment about was the buffet plates. We call them snack sets, and I have three or four sets that I just couldn't bear to get rid of when we cleaned out my grandparents' houses. Unfortunately I seldom have an occasion to use them.

    ReplyDelete
  64. Base on the photos I've seen in this site it seems that they are already prepare for the Christmas eve.

    ReplyDelete
  65. Hello, I am blog hopping today and just decided to stop by your blog.

    Your decorations are BEAUTIFUL!!

    Please feel free to stop by either or both of my blogs and a follow would be much appreciated.

    Jessicas Lil Corner is my family blog at http://jessicaslilcorner.blogspot.com

    So Stylilized is where I am currently offering FREE custom blog designs at http://sostylilized.blogspot.com

    Have a very blessed Wednesday!! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  66. All I can say is WOW!!! Absolutely amazing! I've snagged a lot of ideas from the photos and will be combing the after Christmas sales, wishing you were with me!

    ReplyDelete
  67. Terrific job. I love decorating evey corner too. We have many items that are similar so I really like the ways you have used them. All the tips and hints of how and where to find things was great also. Have a very Merry Christmas and enjoy all your efforts-I am sure your family does.

    ReplyDelete
  68. Oh my goodness! What a beautiful Christmas house. I only wish I had it in me to do all of that at Christmas. I'm still trying to pull out a few of my decorations... and it is Dec. 16th!

    Never been here before. I'm thinking I'll have to look around a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  69. WOW! I just happened to click over here and I'm glad I did ... what a fabulous holiday home tour!!! I am in love with all of your trees! My family room tree is just the same as yours (when I put it up)- LOADED with ornaments that we have collected over the years and my children just love it too! I love that you put a nostalgic tree in your husband's office for him - that is so sweet! You definitely have a talent! Looks amazing!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  70. I enjoyed the tour. You sure do a lot of deocrating. Your family is lucky you work so hard. It looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  71. I have so many things to say, where to begin? I love the JOY wreath/word, I MUST get a Charlie brown Christmas tree for my husband next year, The luncheon plates are one of my favorite things in the world. I have a small set of milk glass ones that my mom picked up a few years back. And finally, I suppose, I adore that you have so many trees. My husband thinks that three is too many, but he is CLEARLY wrong. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  72. It all looks outstanding...really love the JOY!!!! I’m having a Christmas Open House…would love to have you join in on the fun. Merry Christmas to you and your family!

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  73. I love your family tree. No, wait, I love your bedroom tree. No, wait, I love them all and also your other decor. It's all so wonderful!
    CAS

    ReplyDelete
  74. I love your red and green tree! I love that you used a bucket to put the tree in. So going to do that next year!! Also-love the ladder!! I too have candy canes sticking out of the top of my tree! Ha!:) So glad that I found your blog! Can't wait to see what other fabulous things that you do! Have a fabulous week!!

    ReplyDelete
  75. Wow! I just adore the Cindy Lou Who tree and the idea of so many trees. I usually have up at least 2 - this year had 3 but gave two of them away to someone who didn't have one...I love this blog!! XOXO Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  76. I want to come live with you! GORGEOUS is all I can say!

    ReplyDelete
  77. Stopping in from Utah! Love Love your decor! gave me some great ideas :) I have the Dept 56 North Pole village pieces & it takes me forever to get them all up! I am sure your home is so inviting during the holidays! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  78. Karen:

    I love your Christmas page. It is simply wonderful. You are Mrs. Santa! It makes me want to start decorating right now!

    Thank you so very much for sharing your pictures.. Can't wait to see what you put up there this year!

    ReplyDelete
  79. Karen, thanks for sharing your home at Christmas. I really enjoyed looking at all the pictures. The glass dessert plates/cups reminded me of a way I used my cups last year. They were perfect for individual servings of cranberry jello salad at a Christmas dinner we hosted. Just before serving, I topped them with a whipped cream topping.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/christmasnotebook/5269234013/in/photostream/
    Everyone loved them. Thought you might enjoy seeing another use for your glass cups. :)
    ~~Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  80. Breath taking amazing! I am not sure how you would ever be able to out do this one!

    ReplyDelete
  81. I stumbled upon your blog due to Pinterest and a photo of your Santa tree. Needless to say I have continued to browse your blog and after seeing these photos, you are my Christmas decorating idol! I love your home and your stunning ideas placed throughout. If my home looks 1/2 as lovely and festive as yours does at any time in my life, I will be one happy woman!

    ReplyDelete
  82. Unbelievable! Lots of work, just beautiful. I wouldn't have room to store half of those decorations! Love your blog, Check out my crude attempts at blogging on my sewing blog. My sewing skills far out weigh my blogging skills!
    www.mormorcreates.blogspot.com
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  83. I'm joining the comment party a little late, but just wanted to say that I really enjoyed looking at your decorations, and found a lot of ideas that I'll be borrowing in future years. Your home looks lovely and welcoming. Thanks for sharing all your great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  84. Wow! Everything looks absolutely gorgeous, your home is beautiful.
    Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  85. Karen I just love your house and I thoroughly enjoyed the tour of your home and all the wonderful Christmas trees.
    I used to put up four full Christmas trees, and five small (3') table top trees in the kids rooms, bar area, and one foot trees the bathrooms, now that I no longer have any help I just decorate one tree. Your post brought back wonderful memories, thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete
  86. Thanks for creating this blog and sharing your ideas!! I have enjoyed all your creations & tips. They have also sparked my desire to work on my new house. I love 'pretty' houses but I REALLY love a house that has treasures from my travels, presents and hubby's gifts from his adventures in the military. I am hoping with my new house I will be able to make a more cohesive design since this is the largest home we have ever had. One idea I started using a few years ago.....I remove some pictures and art to hang up holiday art and decorations. I just store them in the Christmas containers. No new holes in the wall and hubby is a happy man! LOL

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment...I just love hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails