Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Tool Time Tuesday...Ribbon Organizer

Hi Everyone! Wow do Tuesdays come up fast or is it just me? Today's TTT is from the curtain rod section of the hardware store. I'll be using a tension rod for a ribbon organizer. Do you remember this post below? I used galvanized spikes to organize my ribbon. You know me I love anything galvanized, but thought I would change it up a bit to show you another option.

ribbon organizing
Here is a tension rod. If you are not familiar with them, they narrow metal curtain rods that are spring loaded. You can untwist them to any size to fit your window.

ribbon organizing
They have small rubber cups on the ends to not only protect the surface they are up against, but to prevent the rod from slipping. To fit to your area, all you do is untwist it a little larger than your window and then push in to fit. The spring loaded tension keeps it in place.

ribbon organizing
Here is where I am storing my ribbon now! This idea would also work great on a shelf with something already on it...like the shelf to the right of the ribbon. See all those jars of buttons? I was going to store the ribbon in that unused space above them, but I had 2 rods. Just remove the rubber tip and slide on your spools of ribbon.

ribbon organizing
I added a yard stick that I cut to fit the shelf. Easy to cut the right size ribbon for any project.

ribbon organizing
I used my favorite 3M Command stickers to keep the ruler in place. The white tab sticking out onto the shelf bugged me, so I colored it in with a black marker. I know ridiculous, but it's the little things that make me happy! You can just barely see the 3M tab sticking out in the above picture at the 18 inch mark.

ribbon organizing
Always looking for your scissors? Well, not any more...I tied them (with a ribbon of course) to the tension rod, so they are always there to cut the ribbon.

ribbon organizing
This is just a close up of the rubber cups up against the side of the shelf to show how it stays up with the tension of the inner spring.

ribbon organizing
I use this for all my satin ribbons that I use for craft projects, but this would be great to hold all your ribbons for gift wrapping too. Perfect temporary organization for a gift wrap station for the holidays. If you have a shelf, cupboard or bookcase near your kitchen or dining room table, just clear it out for your gift wrapping marathon and keep all your ribbons up and out of the way while you're wrapping the packages. Then the ribbon is right there when you need it...easy to unroll just the right amount of ribbon. There are so many other uses for tension rods that I've done in the past.

ribbon organizing


Do you remember the window design wall and the doorway children's theater? Just click the high lighted links for a peek back at those previous posts.

Happy organizing and have a great Tuesday!
~Karen~

35 comments:

  1. Very creative. I just wish I had some ribbon so I could use this idea. Then maybe my sewing spot could look as nice as the glimpse of yours shows it to be!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a fab idea, Karen. You could use those tension rods for other things too I reckon - especially to get things off the table. I don't have as much table space as I'd like so anything that gets things off the table and onto walls, window frames etc is great. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are always soooo ingenious!!!
    Maybe you would like to know that I have begun to write my blog also in English...
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. What Great ideas thanks for sharing
    Hugs Janice

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant! I love the shower curtain rod in your cabinet!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice!!! I need to make a visit to the hardware store and see if there is something like this available. But I still think it is a very helpful hint. Thanks so much!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Karen, que idea más magnífica para colocar las cintas bien ordenadas y a la mano!!!. Además se pueden colocar otras cosas. Gracias por tus geniales ideas. Un beso

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it! Can't wait to use this idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have a way of making storage of things look PRETTY! Your ribbon station looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. And what an expanding idea lol...
    p.s and when are you coming over to stash manicure as a guest??? mmmm

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've just discovered your blog and am having so much fun looking at your sewing room! I too had my dad live with us for a time. He had Alzheimer's. It can be rough and much more expensive than siblings or others realize. We could never have leftovers for our family, but that's entirely another story. He's since passed on. I've bookmarked your blog and look forward to getting to know you!
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ok I am totally organizing my ribbons this weekend. I ran across a couple tension rods in the garage a few weeks ago. Who knew they would end up in my craft room.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely idea... if only I had this many ribbons;-)
    Btu you got me thinking and I got some ideas for my new sewing room!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. YOU ARE A GENIUS!! Sew simple yet so effective!! I may have to do away with my BOXES of ribbons...correction make that my BOXES of jumbled mess of ribbon rolls!! Well not anymore!! Thanks!
    Paulette

    ReplyDelete
  15. Another great idea Karen! Those galvanized spikes look like they could be dangerous! I guess you could put something cute on top of the point though! Tension rods are great for all sorts of things, but I especially like this idea because it uses up what might otherwise be unusable space. Thanks!

    MGM

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great idea! My ribbons are in piles right now, so I will definitely have to give this idea a try!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I don't have enough ribbons to do that, but I do need a better way to store my embellishments, so I can find them;)

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh yeah!!!! This is a great idea, I have two of those rods kicking around in my closet, and a new book shelf to put them in. thanks for the fantastic idea!!!!
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love that idea and I know just the spot to fit this into my crafting space :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks, great idea! I'm, tired of my ribbons in boxs.
    Thanks again,

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a great idea! You are so creative. I am just amazed at the ideas you have for storage and organizing. Found your blog a few months ago and bookmarked it. I look forward to reading it. I will be getting my ribbons more organized by trying this with them. Thank you so much again.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a fabulous idea. I make all of my daughters hairbows and I have a large quantity of ribbon, what a great way to store them!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wunderfull idea. I think i want
    it for my sewing room.
    Greeting, Marita

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Karen,
    Did the fix work... thanks for responding!!! Love your blog!
    cindy

    ReplyDelete
  25. This rod would work so wonderfully in my craft closet...why didn't I think of that ...you are very clever. Happy Thanksgiving

    ReplyDelete
  26. I just love this idea, thank you for sharing~!

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a great idea and I love all your ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Very cool way to store ribbons! I love your craft room! Drooling!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow, those spikes look a bit lethal! What a clever use for tension rods though. I've got a few in my kitchen cabinets to separate out baking sheets etc but had never thought of using them like this. I guess it would work for craft tape and similar items. I love making my own organizers - you can customize them to your needs and storage space perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  30. PLEASE post where you got those awesome bookcases or what brand they are. They are so beautiful.

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment...I just love hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails