Friday, April 30, 2010

A Window of Opportunity...Wall Calendar

I've had these window frames for over 20 years from my great uncle. They have been different colors and have served different functions like mirrors, flower boxes etc, but for the last 10 years or so they have been my organizers in our family office. The family office was our dining room, but we turned it into the computer room/office for all to use.
space
The window on the left has cork board in each pane to keep important papers or school flyers close at hand. The window on the right is our 6 month calendar. I was in the process of changing the months and thought I would share how I did it in case you have a window frame you'd like to transform.
space
The window on the right has cardboard in each pane so I can tack the calendars to it.
space
space
This is what it looks like with the calendars in it.
space

space
I don't buy calendars...I just print them from a free website.
space

Just go to this site. On the right side under Calendars, I click on "monthly calendars". Then from there, I use the Holiday version, because it already lists each holiday in the month. Click around though, because there are different styles and sizes for every purpose. Some are vertical or horizontal. Mine are vertical.

space

It's a great site...I have no affiliation to it, just wanted to share!



Print off your desired calendar.




My window panes are longer than the standard 8"x11" piece of paper, so I print the title of each month on a separate piece of paper in a large font.




You can just tack them up with thumb tacks, but why not have something cute up there each month.



Like these cute little buttons that I just hot glued to flat headed push pins. The buttons are from my friend Carol who I met through blogging. Hi Carol!! She sent me 2 big boxes of buttons and thread that she received from a friend. I'm amazed every day by the kindness of strangers. She just sent me the buttons knowing I would find a project for them. I have others in the making...it's just taking me longer than I thought to get them done. You know how that goes. One big long list of "To Dos". Thanks again Carol for all the goodies.




To put the calendars together, I just tack each monthly title to each pane...




with these adorable button pins.




Here's the window partially set up.







Now take your printed calendars...




I cut off the smaller monthly name on the top and some small print on the bottom. Sorry about this upside down picture.




I use double side tape on the back top side of each calendar.




I place each calendar on the first printed sheet so it fills in the space at the bottom to hide the cardboard.




Now you're all set to fill it in with your family's crazy schedule. If you're like me...it gets filled in pretty quickly.




This little close up is the detail in the old window. Great to find these in flea markets, junk shops, yard sales, thrifting...




Love it!




So easy to have 6 months at a glance!




Don't miss this "Window of Opportunity" for organization. Go forth...recycle, paint and organize.
space

Have a great day,

~Karen~

22 comments:

  1. Another great idea that doesn't dissappoint!

    Thanks for sharing and have a good weekend :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so talented with so many ideas. Love the button thumbtack idea! xo,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! Such a great idea. Please stop by my blog and vote for my friend :-) Thanks and have a great weekend!

    Jocelyn
    http://happycottagequilter.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabuloso idea! I have three such windows hiding in the storage building just waiting for me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this! Very unique. I just love your ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. you always have such a great ideas! who do you can? nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You just NEVER disappoint.
    Thank you, Karen - for all that you do.

    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love that!!!!! You are a genius!!
    So clever.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your idea gave me an idea, lol.
    I hang my mini quilts with tacks and just reallzed, i could glue a nice top to them to go with the quilts or buttons. Thanks for inspiring us to use our heads and what we have in the house.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  10. How great to have 6 months showing at once!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would love to live in your home...you are so creative and organized....can I be like you?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Really! This is a cute way to treat an old window. As soon as I find one, I'm going to do this! Oh, and the button tacks are just the perfect touch.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Karen, I hope you are well. Another fabulous idea - I already feel more organised looking at this :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a great idea. I can't live without my big calendars. How lucky for you to have such a "great" great uncle! Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great idea! I love old windows, and this is such a great functional way to use them! And I'm crazy about the button thumb tacks! I may just have to give some of those away for gifts! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh! This is so fun. It's also the second time I've seen the button thumb tacks the past week. I'm thinking I may have to make some for my bulletin boards!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love all the idea! I'll start by making my own button pins right now, the windows will have to wait... but i'll get to them soon lol
    Thanks for these ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very cute. I especially like the button thumb tacks.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ohhh! So clever! I love how you made the window frame so productive! I really like this idea!

    Donna
    http://funkyjunkinteriors.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the way you have used these windows. The button-emebellished tacks are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a cute way to be organised!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Just found your blog through Pinterest! You are such an organized and creative person! I'm loving your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment...I just love hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails