Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Tool Time Tuesday...Paint Chip Fabric Match

sspacepace
This week's TTT will be a short one, but oh so helpful. We're having another party this weekend...this time for Courtney's high school graduation...we've invited over 80 people, so I've been running around like a maniac. I'm having a carnival theme with booths, games, prizes, a moon bounce, cotton candy machine and a full dinner. I ought to have my head examined, but you only graduate from high school once. Ok, back to Tuesday's helpful hint.
space
Paint chips...love the free paint chips. We've been painting for the party, so I grabbed these paint chips while at the hardware store. She wants a blue and yellow theme, because those are the colors of the university she will be going to in 25 days (lump in throat).
space
Now I know there is a TTT in these paint chips somewhere...


Woo Hoo!!
How about matching the chips to one of the fabrics that you already have in your stash and then just take the paint chip strip with you to the quilt shop. You can then match any range of colors to the fabric, because you already know it matched the strip.
space
This really takes the guessing out of picking and matching colors, because Benjamin Moore has already done the color work for you.


Hope you like this short, but sweet Tool Time Tuesday.
space
I want to thank everyone for all the wonderful comments and emails. I really miss visiting your blogs, but I know my life will slow down soon...this summer has been a crazy one. I will try and get back to you after this weekend, so don't think I've forgotten you!!!
space
By the way...if any one has any suggestions for more games for our carnival, I would love it if you could share. Well, I'm off to bed...see you next week. I'll try to remember to take pictures of the carnival to share.
space
Have a great Tuesday,
~Karen~

22 comments:

  1. How exciting, a graduation party with a carnival theme! It sounds like so much fun. Then off to college, I can see the tears now. But she will be just fine. This is such an exciting time in her life and in yours. Love the paint chips for fabric matching. Looking forward to seeing pics of the party.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great graduation party! Can't wait to see the pictures! Remember to have fun! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a GREAT party idea....and don't you have ANOTHER daughter coming up to high school graduation before much longer? (If so, after this party, you better put on your thinking cap to come up with an equally-great party for HER. So...no rest for the weary there!!! LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  4. sounds like great fun - thanks for the tip on the paint chips, I have never thought to use them for that.
    Karen
    http://karensquilting.com/blog/

    ReplyDelete
  5. The party sounds like a fantastic idea!

    As for the paint chips, another idea is to find a paint chip card that has coordinating/complementing colors on it and finding fabrics in those colors to make a quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another paint chip idea: when doing a swap in a certain color scheme, get duplicates of a paint chip card and send to all participants. That way everyone is on the same wavelength as far what exactly you mean by a certain color blue or other color. When you post a picture online, you have to worry about their screen settings displaying the color right or the printer printing it right - using the paint chips takes the customized settings out of the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never thought about stopping by the paint store on the way to the fabric store but that is a brilliant idea. A new route for me :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't know how many little ones will be attending but when my brother was little he had a circus themed party and my grandfather cut a piece of plywood out to look like an elephant with the hose of his shop vac as the trunk. The kids spent hours feeding things (mostly Styrofoam peanuts, but I think eventually napkins)to the elephant.

    Thanks for the great quilting idea. I constantly have trouble coordinating fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congradulations. Have a photo booth, where the graduate takes a picture with every guest that way they can place who is who in the years to come. Great idea on the paint card.

    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very clever idea...will try this one also!
    Hope your party is a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this! Thanks for sharing.
    Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Karen...fun idea with the paint chip cards. I have always thought that there should be something really fun to do with them but haven't quite nailed it yet! Have a wonderful birthday celebration--it sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sweet P mentioned the color-coordinated color cards. I saw a suggestion on another blog to use these chips as a challenge for a guild - you pick a chip out of the bag and you have to make a block or a small quilt using those colors.

    I also used the chips to work on color theory. I didn't feel like cutting up the book, so I stopped by the hardware store and developed my own color wheel.

    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh My what a great blog site--I love your idea's--keep them coming and congrads on your daughter's success.
    I am new to your blog site--I have signed up for the Sig block swap and am working at getting to know all of the rest of you, so my quilt won't be full of "strange" names!! have fun at the party, too, ok?? hugs, just, Di

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great idea and plenty of fun headed your way this weekend. ENJOY and thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Another great idea!
    Have a great time celebrating!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great idea!

    The grad party sounds so fun! What an awesome mom you are!!

    Hope you take time to enjoy the party!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for the tip! I never miss one TTT, you always have such cool ideas to share.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yet another great idea!! Happy party to you all and a big congrats to your daughter. Such an exciting time in her life...a bit hard on mom but very exciting.We are spending the next few days helping to move our daughter even futher away from the nest...but again a very exciting time in her life.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi,Karen
    Althoug I havn't visited you for a long time,I've never forgotton you,too!!
    Thanks for the tip of the paint chips.( Oh,confuse of chip and tip for me...) Your TTT is very fun,indeed.
    Have a great party.

    Hugs,naoko

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love paint chips I also love looking at rows of folded fabric or bolts :) I think I'm just a color fanatic!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Can brilliant really be that easy?! You have a wonderful talent for ideas that are brilliant and easy! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment...I just love hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails