Saturday, March 7, 2009

Pizzelle Recipe and Consignment Goodies...

space
Pizzelles are a wafer thin Italian cookie with a crispy texture. They can be lemon, vanilla, anise or chocolate flavor. They are made in a pizzelle maker, which is like a waffle iron. Once the iron is hot, it only takes 15-20 seconds to make each set of cookies. My iron (picture below) has 4 smaller cookies, but some come with 2 larger ones. Although I am not Italian (I'm half Portuguese and half Irish...I know, what a combo), my Portuguese grandmother was famous for these. This recipe is not hers, but still delicious. Which reminds me...I need to get her recipe from one of my aunts.
Pizzelle Recipe
Sspac

3 eggs, beaten
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup butter, melted (definitely use butter for a great taste)
1 1/2 cups flour (that looks funny, so it's one and a half cups)
1 teaspoon baking powder
dash salt
2 teaspoons vanilla
Confectioner's sugar, for dusting

Preheat pizzelle iron and spray with Pam (especially if it's a new iron). Beat all ingredients together. Batter will be thick. Drop by rounded spoonfuls onto hot pizzelle iron. Close cover of iron and bake for 15-30 seconds. This time will vary depending on your iron. I always throw the first batch out and swear a little too. The first ones always burn or stick, but after that it's smooth sailing. Remove from iron and place on cooling rack. While hot, sprinkle with confectioner's sugar. Cool completely and Enjoy!!
space
This first picture is of all the ingredients, but I stuck in a few things to show you. The plant in the background is an Anthurium (I think). My neighbor just gave it to me for watching her house and watering her plants. They also gave my husband a $50 Home Depot gift card for plowing their driveway. I guess she doesn't read my blog...cause I'll be using that gift card for "Tool Time Tuesdays"!!! I bought that little red bell in a school supply store. I use it, much to my family's dismay, when I want them to come pick up something in the kitchen to bring to the table...you know "Ding Ding" Order Up. They just roll their eyes, but they humor me. The polka dot bowls were a gift from a friend and the cherry bowl is a gift from my sister-in-law when she stayed with us. Isn't cute!
space
Here's the batter: yummy golden color
Space
This is the iron. This particular iron is reversible. You can turn the plates over to make waffles.


Here they are drying on the cooling rack...the first sets I was taking a picture of were already eaten by the girls and all their friends who come over after school.


This plate didn't last too long!!



Consignment Shop Finds!!
space
Hubby and I went out for breakfast this morning and stopped by a consignment shop that was next door. Roamed around, but found all these in the 75% off rack. I also bought a cut glass punch bowl set for my sister-in-law for $1.25 and a sterling silver candle snuffer for my mother-in-law for 88 cents, but no pictures (I already dropped them off)
space
This little chamber set stands about 7" high. It is so cute and only cost $1.50!



This teapot is a piggy bank and is from Mary Engelbreit. It was $1.12, but there were 5 pennies in it so that $1.07!! Woo Hoo.



and these embroidery hoops range in size from 7"-14" and were only $3.00 for all. I want to do that thing that I've seen on other blog where you put fabric in them and use them to decorate your walls.



I haven't been to a flea market, thrift store or consignment shop in a while, but I think I might make it a weekly venture. So many great things out there!
space
Have a great rest of the weekend,
~Karen~

12 comments:

  1. Super finds...I love the piggy bank teapot. I could go to a thrift/resale shop every day. It can get addicting. I have never had a Pizzelle before, they look yummy, kind of remind me of a waffle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greafinds!!
    I love Pizzelle's but don't have an iron!!! They look so yummy...enjoy:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Karen, I am a Karen too! I also make pizzelles. My husband is half Italian (his father) but his mother who was Irish made them. I did not like them at first but now it is not Christmas without them. I acquired my parents' iron when they passes away. My father is the one who bought it after having pizzelles at my in-laws one year. He loved them!!! I also now make the lemon ones in the warmer weather. Whenever I take them somewhere, everyone wants to know what they are. Have not tried the chocolate ones yet but don't know why since I love chocolate. You have a lovely blog. I am glad I found it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Karen.
    The pizzelles look yummy, I have to pass this on to my son Joe-da chef, I'm sure he'd love them too..
    Great buys you found ..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Karen, So yes, I am Italian, my grandparents came over from Italy through Ellis Island. I grew up on Pizzelles and love them so much. My mom always made them as well as my Nana. I wish I owned a pizzelle maker.

    By the way, your finds are absolutely terrific! I love them all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Karen,
    One of our neighbors is a Swiss family and they always give us a cookie tin filled with these every Christmas. They don't call them Pizzelles but now I know what they are. Between my husband and myself, they don't last longer than 48 hours, if that. Hmmmm...I can just taste the with a hot cup of tea.

    I LOVE your bowl with the cherries! Now if it were strawberries, I'd be knocking at your door. I have this thing about vintage dishes with strawberries on them. Great finds!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just found your blog and so glad I did. First, those cookies look so yummy and I've wanted to make one of those grandmothers garden quilts forever, so thankyou so much for the wonderful tutorial, now I just need to find the perfect fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness those cookies look good. I love the pan you cook them in. Never seen one of those before. Cute polka dotted dishes. Like the ones I've got. Great finds at the consignment shop. And I've got to have one of those red bells. DING DONG!!!! Wonder if I have a school supply store here. Love that bell.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I wish I had my pizelle machine now..looks like a great recipe! Someone wanted one so I gave mine away... I got mine from a garage sale...never had time to make them.
    I love your buys too..you were very lucky. the hoops hold redwork really well too...LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. You did find some great things!!!
    Those cookies look amazing, and sooo delish!
    Thanks for your kind comments on my blog-

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOVE pizzelles! My iron makes 2 at a time and they take about 45 seconds to bake. The recipe I use calls for 6 eggs and a cup of margarine. It says not to use butter. Go figure. My Girl Scouts made them a few weeks ago for an international dessert party. It was the only dessert offered that "sold out"- no leftovers.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your find are very sweet. Good idea to make it a weekly adventure, it's, after quilting, my favorite occupation.
    Greetings from Paris, Will V

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment...I just love hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails