Saturday, February 28, 2009

The "Eyes" Have It...a tutorial

Warning this tutorial is picture heavy
But the tutorial is oh so easy!!
space
Reversible Eyeglass Case
space
Fabric choices: cotton (if you use cotton, it won't be too padded, but still works great), home decor, pre-quilted, canvas
space
Measurements: 2 pieces of fabric cut 4" x 13.5". In the following pictures I used Moda's Maison de Noel by 3 Sisters (on the left) and Moda's Gingham Rose by 3 Sisters (on the right). I thought one for spring/summer and the darker one for fall/winter.


Directions: Place 2 strips of fabric right sides together and pin the short ends .
space

Sew both shorts end together with matching thread...I used black so you could see. Remove pins as you go... trust me on this one!

Press open both seams. Sorry this is so blurry.


You will now have one continuous loop of fabric. Still with right sides together, bring the seams to the middle, match the seams and pin. At this point, in the picture below, there is a loop of brown fabric on the left and a loop of red fabric on the right with seams matching in the middle.


close-up of pinned seams.



Next, sew one continuous seam on one long side...back stitching at the beginning and the end to secure. On the other long side, sew for a few inches and back stitch to secure. Stop and leave a 2" opening. Start to sew again until you get to the end and secure with back stitch.



Close-up of the 2" opening. At this point you will turn fabric inside out. If you are using a thicker fabric or quilted fabric, you may want to leave a bigger opening.



Once the fabric is right side out, make sure your corners are poked out with something (that sounds so technical doesn't it...but you know what I mean) Press seams, making sure to iron the opening that you used to turn the fabric. You will need to either whip stitch or machine stitch the opening closed. If that side is going to be on the outside of the case, make sure you use a matching thread. The color of that brown looks so green...it really does match in person


You are almost done...just need to decide which fabric you want for the outside. I chose the red and white fabric first. All you need to do is open up the red and white fabric and shove (another technical term) the brown fabric inside. Make sure you use something pointy to push the brown fabric down into the corners.


Tah Dah...you now have a reversible eyeglass case. Isn't it the cutest thing.




And if you want the brown (even though it looks green in this picture), just pull out the brown and push in the red.



Now you are set for the fall and winter seasons.



This next series of pictures is all the same process, except I cut 2 pieces of the red fabric (Moda's Wee Play), 1 piece of the blue Wee Play and a piece of Warm and Natural batting. I wanted to make my own quilted fabric for one side of the case. I place one piece of red fabric right side down, then batting on top of that, then another red piece of red fabric right side up. I pinned it and then free motion quilted all over it. I trimmed the piece to the original 4" x 13.5" measurement. You can now follow the same directions as above and the end product will have one side quilted. This gives it a little extra cush!!




This picture below is the 2 pieces with the batting, after quilting. You will need to trim this to 4"x13.5" .



In this picture the blue fabric on the left is just fabric and the red is the quilted side.


Here I am pushing the blue fabric into the red for the lining.


Another cutie.



This seems like a long tutorial, but you can seriously make one of these eyeglass cases in 10-15 minutes. This would be great for all of you who make those adorable purses, because now you can make a matching eyeglass case too. They make great gifts and party favors. Every Christmas I have a ladies party and I love making something for everyone to take home. One year was a tissue case, this past year was a scarf and this year I'm making these.
space
If you have any questions at all please free to email. These tutorials seem easy in my head, but once you have to write down every step, it may seem confusing.
space
Enjoy and pass this one on to all your friends!!
space
Thanks for stopping by,
~Karen~

21 comments:

  1. great idea! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another wonderful tutorial!!
    You clever girl...thanks for sharing!
    hugs
    Robyn xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karen, this is the best! Because I've lost so many pairs of prescription glasses, I now only buy cheaters that I keep at every "station" in my house. Most don't come with a case so the ones I throw into my purse get scratched in no time. I'm to make a couple of these and I'm sure my purse specs will last much longer now.

    Thanks a million and I understood every word. You make it sound so easy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for doing this tutorial! It is such a good idea! I am forever misplacing my glasses. Now, maybe, if I make a bunch of these cases in neon colors I might be able to find one pair, eh? lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sure is easy to make, but I have never used one even though I've made them, I always forget where the thing is. Good tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, Karen, I read your generous tutorial this morning and have since made a dozen cases! Our quilting retreat is this coming weekend, and guess what everyone will find at her place at dinner on Friday! All the machine work is done. Tonight I'm babysitting the grandchildren and once they are asleep, I'll do the handstitching.

    You really made my day today!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great tutorial Karen...very easy to follow..thank you Julia ♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm trying to play "blog" catch up...I love this tutorial Karen.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a great tutorial - easy to follow and good illustrations. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  10. great tutorial. thanks! also, i love your snow pictures, it looks so fuzzy. I'll have to try the scrub bubbles. enjoy the snow. it's 80 degrees here in Texas (or near it). but snow would've been nice.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well isn't that cute!!!! Thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad I came across this tutorial, already made one today. Thanks!
    http://amildseason.blogspot.com/2010/08/reversible-quilted-eyeglass-case.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. Elizabeth in San JoseAugust 11, 2010 at 8:02 PM

    Great tutorial; thanks so much. You're right, it is far simpler than it seems from the photos. But I did need them!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love this. You were very clear on the directions. I will be making 12 as Xmas gifts. Perfect for a newbie to do.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just wanted to tell you that this is an awesome tutorial...I'm new to sewing and I sat down and made 4 of these with no problems at all yesterday. It was so easy to follow...thank you! I would love to see you keep on adding more. :) I have you saved in my favorites now.

    Lorie

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great (and so easy to follow) tutorial!!! I made a case for my daughter and she loves it. I posted on my blog with a link back here. Thanks so much Karen for sharing!!
    ~Terry~
    http://iluvmybugs.blogspot.com/2012/01/easy-quilted-eyeglass-case.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is so neat. I will try this. I have been wanting to sew an eyeglass case. Now I have another one to try. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi!! Thanks for the lesson. I am a beginner and I need lots of pictures and you did a great job. I totally follow what you did and I plan to make myself an eyeglass case. If it looks pretty decent, I may make one for family/friends too. Thank you very much!! (:

    ReplyDelete
  19. Excellent! I stopped reading and immediately made one! I used felt (for structure) and fleece (for softness against the lenses). Perfect lightweight case in about 15 min. Many thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for tutorial, already try and love it, perfect for giveaway

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment...I just love hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails