Did you have a penny candy store near you when you were growing up? The store where I grew up was called Bettez Candy Store and was literally the "corner" store. Even the door was on the corner of the building...on an angle. So cute, now that I think about it!! The screen door slammed when it closed.
I can still picture the inside of the store. Short counter on the right, old fashioned register and then rows and rows of candy loose in cute little boxes.
- wax lips
- candy cigarettes...remember blowing the confectioner's sugar?
- flying saucers...wafers with the little beads in them
- pixie stixs...the paper straws with...well, pure sugar in it.
- wax bottles...bite the top off, drink the liquid and then chew the wax forever
- caramel creams or bull's eye...these were my favorite. Still are.
- squirrels...nutty caramels with the waxed paper wrappers
- bubble gum cigars
- Necco wafers...my mom always had these in the bottom of her purse. I ate them even with the purse lint. Lol !! Loved the black licorice flavor
What was your favorite penny candy? What nostalgic candies are from your past?