Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Tool Time Tuesday...Graduation Tassel Ornament

Hi everyone!! In honor of all graduates this month and next month, I wanted to share an idea I saw on Pinterest. I wish I could share a link to the original post, but the pin was of just the picture. There is another website with the same photo as Pinterest, but they only refer to Pinterest as the source. If anyone knows the original website where this came from let me know...I would love to give them credit.

I just love this idea so much, I am going to dig through the girls' souvenir boxes and pullout their high school tassels too.

It will be so nice to have these hanging on the Christmas tree instead of having the tassels packed away in a box.

These were Courtney's tassels from Saturday...one for graduating and the white for honors.

graduation tassel ornament

These are so quick to make up...pop in to see how easy.

I bought these clear Christmas ornaments last year. I always wanted to try the different ideas I've seen online...painting the inside of them, add curls of pretty ribbon inside or the one where it looks like a melted snowman inside. That one is so cute.

Even though I bought these at Christmas time, you can still buy them at craft stores now.

graduation tassel ornament

Just make sure the ornament you purchase is clear, has a removable top and has a wide enough opening to fit the tassel's year tag.

graduation tassel ornament

Pull the top of

graduation tassel ornament

and take the wire hanger out of the cap.

graduation tassel ornament

Drop in your tassel, working in the year tag carefully. I had to work at one of them because the 2013 was a little bigger on one.

graduation tassel ornament

If it doesn't fit, switch to another ornament. Some tops are made a little different and will fit better.

graduation tassel ornament

Now take the cap and thread the tassel's hang cord through the opening, from the inside of the cap to the outside.

graduation tassel ornament

Knot the cord off on the hanger and re-insert the wire and the cap back on the ornament.

graduation tassel ornament

Perfect!!

graduation tassel ornament

Such a special keepsake.

graduation tassel ornament


graduation tassel ornament


Now this has me thinking about what else I could keep in here, just like a mini scrap book...

  • baby bracelets from the hospital when they were born.
  • sand and seashells from the beach
  • sea glass collection
  • little toys they've collected when they were little, like marbles or jacks
  • tuck in notes or messages from loved ones
  • store all those fortunes you save from fortune cookies

The list could be endless...only bound by one thing...the size of that opening!!

Have a great day,
~Karen~


Pin It

25 comments:

  1. Lovely Karen,
    Here in Australia we can get plastic ones where the top screws off and it opens in half, so you can fit larger objects in there. I know AVON sold some for a while. Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So unique. Thank you for sharing your ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a clever idea! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karen, you are Unbelievably creative! Thanks so much for sharing!

    robin :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea- thanks for sharing and congratulations on your daughter's graduation!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a great idea! What a nice way to display such beautiful memories then to have them tucked up in a box somewhere.

    Hugs,
    Jo
    Jo's Scrap Shack

    ReplyDelete
  7. For MANY years I have wondered what kind of special keep-sake might be made with these very important tassels and now you have solved the question! What a marvelous way to remember the event and save the meaning! Awesome!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi There, What a lovely idea!!! Have a great week!!
    Love
    AMarie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Such a great idea. I know I have my tassles from high school and college graduations. Thank you, I'm off to find the box they're stored in!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I will have to try this next! I used the clear ornaments to make keepsakes out of our wedding invitations. They turned out awesome too! Such a fun way to display things.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Once again..you are BRILLIANT!! I have three grad hats with tassels...and I didn't know what to do with them! Well I do now!! Thank YOU!
    P

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great idea to do this with tassels. My son gradueates from High School on Friday. I have done this with seashells and sand from vacations and I love having the memories on the christmas tree.

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOVE this idea! And then kids can keep them forever and place them on their tree each year! Brilliant!

    thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I LOVE this idea! Pinned!

    I would love for you to share and link up at my TGIF Link Party. The party is open every Thursday night and closes Wednesday's at midnight.

    http://apeekintomyparadise.blogspot.com/2013/05/tgif-link-party-3.html

    Have a wonderful week!

    Hugs, Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  15. First congrats what a great job she did. These are awesome and something they can take to their home's when they move on. I cut strips of my daughters wedding invites and did the same type of ornament, making sure that the pic's and dates were able to be seen. Then when Michael came along I did the same thing with his annoucements. They came out darling and a true family keepsake.
    Hugs,
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a wonderful idea. We do not get to keep the tassels in this country, but it is a fabulous way to keep all the other keepsakes.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is a very clever idea! I am going to have to do this with my daughters tassels.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my goodness... this is such a good idea!!! I am DEFINITELY going to be doing this!!! And you got my mind working on small little memories from my children's childhood.... YAY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. How large of an opening did your ornaments have? Im in the process of buying them online.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love it! I'm looking to order some ornaments now. What size were the ones that you used?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Just love this idea! You are so very creative. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for sharing love it !!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Any ideas on where to purchase the glass ornaments - all I am able to find are the cheap acrylic ones. Can you provide even more details for the ones you used like size, size of opening, manufacturers #/code? All help appreciated :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Any ideas where I can purchase the glass ornaments - the only ones I've been able to find are the cheap acrylic ones. Could you share additional info on the ones you used like the size, size of opening, or manufacturers #/code? All help appreciated :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment...I just love hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails