Saturday, May 11, 2013

Courtney's Room..Spray Painting Ideas

Hi everyone. Today I want to share some spray painting ideas. I painted Courtney's room gray before Christmas and made the lined drapes with the duvet covers You can click HERE to see that post if you missed it.

This weekend, I'm trying to finish up a few more projects before Courtney graduates Saturday, May 18th and comes home. I have a few sewing projects left which I'll share with you this week too.

Here's the corner I worked on yesterday.  We had everything, just tweaked them with spray paint. (as a side note, the gray on the walls is all the same throughout the whole room...it just looks like 2 colors with the sunlight)

spray painting ideas

This is the before picture I found from Christmas 2011 of the pink paint. Great color when she was in middle school through high school, but the gray is much better for a 22 year old. Lol


I have a few painting ideas and one quick craft project for the cork board...so pop in for a visit.

The room is painted gray and the quilt on her bed is the same gray, so she wanted pops of color with yellow.


spray painting ideas

The lamp was an old one we had in the basement...quick spray paint with a sunny bright yellow.

spray painting ideas

When we change rooms around with color, I always save little decorating items. These flowers were from another room. The were long stemmed, but I bent them to fit this space.

The silver vases are old. They are flat backed to hang on the wall. I though she could keep pens, pencils or even some jewelry in them.

spray painting ideas

I had to show this little elephant. Courtland, Courtney's boyfriend, bought this for her. She loves elephants. The long trunk holds her rings when she takes them off...so cute!!

The spiral thingy in the back is from a thrift store. It will hold her pictures or important notes.

spray painting ideas

Both my daughters love thrifting like their mom. On one shopping trip, Courtney bought this Williams Sonoma can. Being a graphic design major, she loved the color, font and vintage look of the can. Little did she know the yellow would fit right in.

thrift store find


We had all the "C's", but the only one that was silver was the bottom one. Spray paint to the rescue.

spray painting ideas

This "C" is the brown cardboard (paper mache) kind you can buy for a few dollars at the craft store. I originally painted red with craft paint years ago, but this time I used a metallic spray paint by Valspar.

I love how the over spray and the old nicks and chips in the cardboard make it look like real vintage metal.

spray painting ideas

This cork board has been in her room since middle school. It is one of the regular old brown cork boards that you can buy anywhere.

I spray painted this silver years ago and she's used it every where. I just took it out of my car after I picked up a car load of her things from her dorm.

spray painting ideas

I needed to perk it up though...these are new thumb tacks I made to match her room.

spray painting ideas

Just take the silk flower off the stem and hot glue them on the front of the tack.

spray painting ideas

Perfect little pop of yellow!!

decorative thumb tacks

Adds dimension to the board too.

decorative thumb tacks

I sent a picture of this corner to her at school and she LOVED it!!

painted cork board

 Here is the paint I used if you were interested.

spray painting ideas

Lamp color.

spray painting ideas

The letter "C's" and because I love the color so much, I might paint the cork board again with a quick coat.

spray painting ideas


I hope you can find a few things in your house that you can transform with a little spray paint. Well worth the $3-$4 a can.

EDIT....forgot to talk about the paint color on the walls (Thanks Becky for letting me know!!)

Here is a picture of the wall paint can.

Benjamin Moore Latex Eggshell finish. Paint name "Hearthstone".

I had them tinted the primer with this too to cover the hot pink!!

benjamim moore hearthstone

This is the actual label.

benjamim moore hearthstone


Happy Painting,
~Karen~

Pin It

17 comments:

  1. Holy pinnable post! How do you come up with this stuff? You are honestly one of the most creative bloggers I follow. Always amazing and original stuff.

    Bobi
    bobijensen.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely and fresh looking room Karen. No wonder Courtney loves it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi There, Truly amazing how you come up with all these fresh ideas ALL THE TIME!!! Beautiful room!!! Have a fab weekend!!!
    Love
    AMarie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stunning! What color paint did you use on the walls? I couldn't get your link to connect to the post? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would have never thought of spray painting cork! Guess I'll be buying me some spray paint :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. very creative and original.. The result is simply beautiful., sure she ll love it..

    ReplyDelete
  7. I spray painted my daughter's cork board but I put a paper doily on it first for a lace effect.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the way the gray and yellow look together! And those flower pushpins are such a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Grey is my favorite color! I love the yellow accents, wonderful job decorating! My favorite thing is the thumbtacks! What a neat idea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Karen, you have done a beautiful job on your daughter's room and I am sure she will love it. You certainly have given me inspiration for MY daughter's room. She has 3 walls in yellow and the accent wall is brown. Once that wall is changed to gray, we can complete her room with new bedding and accents. I will send a pic once the room is complete.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi! This is one of the cutest rooms ever! I love the the gray paint and the pops of yellow. You have such creative ideas. What a neat idea with hot gluing the flowers to the push pins for the cork board. I totally agree the paper mache painted silver really does look like a piece of metal. I'm going to refer back to this post often to give me inspiration with spray paint. Thank you for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just adorable and I loved the "POPS" of color it has. My granddaughters Girl Scout troop just made the most adorable spray painted tee-shirts for an upcoming festival they will be in and they are amazing! Whodathunk spray painting clothing?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I LOVE grey and yellow together! The corner looks really amazing. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a great makeover. I am a big fan of grey and yellow together. I am sure she will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! I loooove this makeover! The gray and yellow look great!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is so pretty. My eldest son is moving out in August :( but I'm getting my sewing room back :D - think I'll go with the grey and yellow. Would make a pretty room and inspiring room to create in! I love the flower push pins - I may even make some for my workplace b.b.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment...I just love hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails