Thursday, May 2, 2013

Thrifty Thursday...Recycled Milk Cartons

Hi everyone!! It's Thrifty Thursday and today we are recycling milk cartons to use for a plant drainage dish.

I've used the small plastic dishes you buy in the store, but they seem to be too short and the water ends up spilling over. Milk cartons are water proof, free and can be cut to any height.

Some of the pots I use for plants are only decorative and not water proof, so I always put in the drainage dishes.

You can use any milk carton...plastic or the wax coated cardboard type.


recycled milk container


I bought this silver dish in a thrift store and I just love it for this plant. I don't want to water directly in there just in case I want to you the dish for something else.

recycled milk container

The gallon size milk carton is perfect for this.

recycled milk container

 See the little plastic dish on the bottom? Not great or big enough.

recycled milk container

The plastic carton cuts easily with a steak knife.

recycled milk container

You can use the bottom half for a drainage dish and the top half, with the spout, for a funnel!!

recycled milk container

Just the right size.

recycled milk container

Be careful not to leave too much water in the drainage dish or the plant's roots will rot.

recycled milk container

The half gallon cartons are great for little plants too!

recycled milk container


recycled milk container


Here's a picture of another milk carton idea I posted last April...Click HERE to see that post. I cut out some of the carton, but left the handle to thread onto a curtain rod. Lots of storage ideas.

This one is scrap quilt squares...

recycled milk container

and these are art supplies...

recycled milk container

It's great to use the things we would normally throw away for something useful in our a daily lives. I hope you can recycle too!!

Happy Thursday,
~Karen~

Pin It

12 comments:

  1. Hi, Karen, my Dear! This is such a good idea!Thank you SO much for all your delightful visits and sweet comments for me...I swear, I am so behind! I decided that this evening was for me and I was going to sit down and make time to write and visit! ♥ Our youngest, Jonathan, graduates in 3 weeks and it seems like every day lately is just wild...and he takes care of most of it himself! (But I stress!) Tomorrow we have to see his advisor at the university about this fall's schedule...and this weekend is Senior Prom...:^) I guess I just need to settle down and make more Fairy Houses...;) ~ I am seriously having TOO much fun with those...♥)
    Hugs to you, my friend!
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. did you do anything special to smooth the edges on the ones you're using for crafts and such?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that IS a great idea! Thank you, I've been wondering what to do for a plant pot that has a hole in the bottom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good Morning Karen, What a good idea. I tend to save plastic pots which I get if I buy olives and use them as bases for small plants, but I did not have anything for larger plants....this is perfect.
    You are such a creative lady.
    Thank you for all your wonderful tips. Now I just need to get my husband to drink the milk!
    Best Wishes
    Daphne

    ReplyDelete
  5. So clever! A "why didn't I think of that moment!" haha- I'm always scrambling to find liners for different planters ( I resorted to plastic wrap the other day- not a good idea)
    Thanks for sharing
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a great idea! I hate just recycling all that plastic that would be used in other ways!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your idea. Ironically, when I cut the bottom off of a milk jug, I toss it. I use the 'bottomless' jug to protect young plants in my veggie garden.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great way to recycle!

    Carmen and the Primcats

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great idea! Unfortuantely in Ontario milk comes in bags. But occasionally there are jugs of some description. Now to find a use for the 1 litre cream cartons ...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Girl, you are just too smart for me!! lol great tip

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment...I just love hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails