Monday, January 28, 2013

Blogging Tip...Adding Blog Labels

Thought I would share a quick blogging tip with you about labeling your blog posts. I think blog labels are so important for your readers, because they make it easier to find older posts, tutorials or projects.

Readers will come back to your blog and remember you had the best recipe for chocolate cake, but they really don't have the time to scroll through your entire blog looking "that" certain post. If you have labels on your side bar, all they have to do is click on "Recipes" or "Chocolate Cake" and tah dah...they've found it. Your readers will love you if you have Labels!!

So let's get started....

Adding labels to your blog


Go to your dashboard and click LAYOUT





The click ADD GADGET.


A window will pop up and you'll scroll until you see "LABELS". Click and add.


Now, when you are writing a post, on the right hand side is a box for labels. In the beginning, you'll be typing in the first labels until you build up your list.


Then as you accumulate more labels, you can click on the box and your entire list will show up (see it in blue below?) or type the first few letters and a list will show up of similar labels.


This is what the labels will look like under each post. You can add more than one label to a post to help with the search capabilities.



The labels on my side bar are in a "LIST" form, but you can change that too.




To change that, go to your dashboard again and click layout.

 Find the gadget that is called "labels" and click the word "EDIT" next to it.


A window will pop up and you can change all the features for your labels.

I picked "list", but the "cloud" feature is fun too. It is a big continuous block of all your labels. The labels with the most posts have a bolder, bigger font.

You can also add the number of posts in that topic too.

Click SAVE when you're done!


You can also go into the "POSTS" section of your dashboard and edit your labels there.


Click on a post and put a check mark next to that post...


Then click the drop down box with a little label on it and you can add a label to that post.



There are lots of features for a blog post, but "labels" are one of the most important ones. Hope you found this blog post helpful.

I'll be adding it to my "Blogging Tips" and "Labels" label...

Happy Blogging,
~Karen~



Pin It

28 comments:

  1. Thank you, another great tip to help me become a better blogger
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! Thank you for all your tips! Your blog is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always look up your tips if I see something on someone else's blog I'd like to do to on mine,Thanks a million for your blogging tips.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Karen, do you use an iPad? Mine has started loading everyone's blog as a mobile version, not a web version which means I dont see the gadget list, just the posts. I can click on [home] or change the address the m=0, but is there a setting I can change to make it alway open as web version?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Karen
    Thank you for another great Tute. I have a question
    do you know how to remove a label? I created a label and then decided I didn't want to use it. I ended up deleting the one related post to get rid of the label.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's something I too would like to know....

      Delete
    2. That is something I have tried to figure out too....

      Delete
  6. was very useful thank you very much

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for another great tutorial

    ReplyDelete
  8. I found you last night from Pintrest, Then I found your blogging hints. Thank goodness! I look forward to changing up my blog. I will be printing out many of your hints. Thank YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks so much for this info! I have been seeing labels on a lot of blogs and think I will take the label plunge myself! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you thank you...I love learning more about blogging and how to set things up.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just added my labels! Great advise for a new blogger like me. I love your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  12. i should have done this, this weekend I made a page for 2012 quilts and there was lots of labels to look thru

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you! You have a talent for making things easy to understand. I didn't know you could edit labels from the posts page!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for sharing the wonderful tips! I have wondered how to do this...

    ReplyDelete
  15. So agree with you on this. And thanks for all your tips!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm not a blogger, but I follow many of you and I must say that labeling your blog is so very helpful when you are trying to find a particular project. I HOPE ALL BLOGGERS WILL DO THIS!! It would save me sooooo much time. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, thanks! I'm still figuring this blog stuff out and I love posts like this!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh yeah!!! Thanks for doing this!!!! I need all the help I can get with my blog ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for this tip. I never knew you could add labels after the fact. I recently returned to blogging after almost a year off and so much has changed.

      Delete
  19. How can I thank you???I have been wanting to do this and couldn't figure it out!
    THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Karen, you have done it again. Thank you! Your tutorial helped me with my labels. I cannot tell you how much I appreciate your blog!!!
    Lori
    http://theverandaatfallingrock.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have only recently started blogging and you have so many good ideas and helpful hints. Thank you so much. I love your blog. I could lose hours looking at it!xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks again. You are helping so many of us... fine I do need a lot of help. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. How do you get your labels to go in more of a block style layout on the sidebar instead of in a huge list style?

    Thanks,
    Laura @ Mrs. Laura Beth
    MrsLauraBeth@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. THANKS SO much - this really helped!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your blogging tips posts have been super helpful! Thanks x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment...I just love hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails