Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Tool Time Tuesday...Placemat Night Light

Happy Tool Time! Before I show you today's tutorial, don't forget my Sew Darn Crafty Linking Party...a place where you can show off YOUR projects or you can browse all the great projects already there. Definitely go for a visit by clicking here...oh wait, don't go yet, this Tool Time is good one!

Remember all my goodies from the Target clearance rack? Well, the stash included a bunch of plastic place mats. We rarely use place mats, so you know I bought them for Tool Time!

Here is today's project...a place mat night light. Fast, easy, cute and cheap. You know those are my favorite things for a craft project.




This is your supply list.



You'll need a hole punch, but it can either be the big one that punches the 3 holes at the same time or the hand punch.


3 flat screws with the nuts.


A tap light.


and your super cheap clearance place mat...woo hoo 48 cents! Can't beat that with a stick!



See how the place mat is kind of see through. That allows the light to shine through more.



Here are the simple steps.

Find the center of each of the short sides.



If using the stand up hole punch, align the center mark on the place mat with the center mark of the hole punch.



Slide the place mat in...



and press down to punch the holes.



If you are using the hand punch, just space the holes evenly, but make sure they are on the same spots on the other side.





3 holes on each of the short sides.



Now roll up the place mat...



and line up the holes.


Pop in the screws.


and twist on the nut on the inside.



All rolled up and screwed together.





Take your tap light...



and tap it on!



All you do is place the place mat cylinder over the tap light.


and your done!


Perfect for bedtime in any room.



Great by the bed of a little one...or even the bathroom for those late night trips.





Great for any spot in the room, because there isn't a plug. The tap light runs on batteries.





I placed some sea glass out in hopes for warmer weather, but they are predicting snow here in southern New England Wednesday into Thursday. Ahhhh!!! I thought we were done.



Have a great Tuesday and remember to look twice at an item...it always has a different life hiding inside it!
space
~Karen~



Visit thecsiproject.com

47 comments:

  1. What a cool idea! I'll never look at plastic place mats the same way again....

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is one brilliant idea! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a super idea like that one for my bathroom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karen, está maravillosa esta idea y además muy decorativa y útil!!!! Para la habitación de los niños está genial. Un beso

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh Karen!
    This is so great! I love how cheap it is and yet it looks so expensive. LOVE.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like it - simple, practical and very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So Clever!! I love it! Think I'm gonna have to make one of these! Now to figure out who will get it!! LOL...one of my kids just might claim it....1 out of 5...which one will get it...hmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely amazing!!!!!! What a great idea!!!! Thanks Karen for never letting your brain stop working and coming up with these brilliant ideas!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm picturing several of these down the center of a party table, color coordinated with the napkins and plates. Wouldn't that be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so cute! Now I want to go and look for plastic placemats :)

    They are predicting some rain/snow mix for Delaware this week too -booooooo :( Hopefully we will both get lucky and it will stay warmish.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a great idea. I might have to try that for my kid's room. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is so great, what a perfect idea for camping too!!! I think this will replace our nightly glow sticks.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great idea! It couldn't be easier!
    Enjoy your day,
    Leanne

    ReplyDelete
  15. OH I love it, what an ingenious idea. I keep looking for a cheese board, but no luck yet..great ideas..thanks
    Jean

    ReplyDelete
  16. So clever!
    This would be super cute outdoors in the summer. Maybe with a mason jar and tealight inside (assuming it wouldnt get too hot)
    Love your Tool Time Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Karen, you are so very clever. I can't wait for each day to check out your blog to see what you have come up with next. What a nice way to light up a small corner nook area for night-time little walks to the kitchen or whatever. I too will be looking past the actual usage of normal everyday items.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very cute, cheap and useful!! Have to look for those clearance placemats. Thanks for another cool TTT!

    ReplyDelete
  19. So imaginative! I would never think to use placemats like that.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a super fantabulous idea!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh my gosh.......for all the children on my Christmas list! Thanks, Karen.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is such a great idea, would be perfect for my boys room, not to bright for a night light!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a fantastic idea, Karen! Safe for little ones, too. This would look great if you had several of them out on a deck railing or to light up a path for a party.

    We better not get any snow. I've had enough!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. You could use thsi idea to decorate a garden path for a birthday or special event.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Super cool! My target's never put anything on sale!! :( The biggest % off is 15! How lame is that?!!? That's why I like dollar tree! :D I have a few projects from there if you want to check them out!

    ReplyDelete
  26. very cute! this would be so great for the guest bathroom. thanks for motivating me to make something fun and crafty :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I just added your Tool Time Tuesday button to my blog's right sidebar! http://koolbeenz-blog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  28. So cute..I just saw that placemat at the thrift too! I could see that in my grandson's room!

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a cute ( and clever ) idea! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  30. This is SOOO cute - looks like one of the fancy design companies could have made it (and charged us all $200+ for it)! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Love this! I think I might try to do a boy theme one for my son's room, We are your newest followers .

    ReplyDelete
  32. What a cool way to use placemats. Great idea

    ReplyDelete
  33. Neat idea Karen. Couldn't you use
    those brads you use on a folder instead of screws and nuts. Like those gold ones and it would be
    a nicer head.

    I am trying to catch up on blogging. Sorry I'm late. I
    haven't been to up on things
    lately since I lost my sister.

    ReplyDelete
  34. This is cool!!! Thanks for linking up to Mad Skills Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  35. very cool. so mod and looks like something from IKEA which I love!!!

    ReplyDelete
  36. featured this on my blog today!

    http://kimboscrafts.blogspot.com/2011/04/shout-outs.html

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment...I just love hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails