Saturday, February 5, 2011

The Best Chocolate Cake and Frosting Recipe...and a Party

Hubby turned 47 on Wednesday and I made him his favorite food...CAKE! Chocolate cake that is. This is the best recipe for both the cake and the frosting. The cake is super moist and chocolaty...and the frosting is whipped and creamy.

Enjoy!

Chocolate Cake

3 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1/2 (half) cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoons salt
1/2 (half) cup oil
2 Tablespoons vinegar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups cold water

Mix all ingredients in one bowl until well blended. Pour into greased pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 - 40 minutes or until pick comes out clean. There is enough batter to fill one 13x9 pan OR 2 rounds OR 2 squares. There isn't a typo in the ingredients...there are NO eggs in this recipe.

The Best Frosting Ever

1/4 cup flour
1 cup milk
1/2 (half) cup or one stick of butter, softened
1/2 (half) cup Crisco (shortening) I used butter flavor
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

In a medium sauce pan, whisk together the flour and the milk. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until thick. Remove from heat and cool completely.

In a larger bowl, mix together the butter, Crisco and the sugar. Beat on high for 10 minutes. After the 10 minutes, add the cooled flour/milk mixture and the vanilla. Beat until fully mixed together. Refrigerate if not ready to frost your cake.

Enjoy both these recipes.





I'm also having a blog party tomorrow to celebrate YOU! It's starts at midnight! You can link up any sewing, knitting or crafty project...That's why I named it Sew Darn Crafty! You can also link up any give away or etsy shop of your handmade crafts that you want to share. See you on Sunday. The link party will last the whole week. See that post for the details.
space
Take care,
~Karen~


15 comments:

  1. Yum. My son would love this, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you SOOO very much for sharing your recipe. My DH will only eat chocolate cakes - so this will be a treat for him.:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, yes, I am filing this away - and nearby!
    Thank you for sharing your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this Chocolate cake recipe, I first discovered it (or a similar one) in a Good Housekeeping magazine in the early '70's and I have been making it ever since. But not lately, thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How did you know this very day I was thinking of looking for eggless recipes for chocolate brownies! this one sounds perfect! My DH is allergic to eggs, I will definitely make this for him for Valentine's day, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Save me a piece of cake, tomorrow is my birthday. It's the last year of my 5th decade!
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds yummy! I will have to try this. :)
    ~Crystal

    ReplyDelete
  8. My Mom has made that cake since I was a little girl. It was always the "Birthday" cake around our house and on the top of the list for baked goodies in our house. My Mom got it off a Hershey's cocoa can way back in the late 40's.

    ReplyDelete
  9. mmm...I'm always on the look out for delicious cake recipes! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi..

    I'm linking this posting to my blog for my future reference... Thanks very much for sharing... :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do love a really good chocolate cake so I can't wait to try it!

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. YUM! Made this today - fantastic, moist and fluffy - a definite "keeper" recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm snowed in... and out of eggs... and wanting cake. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  14. OMG! That cake recipe is exactly like my hubby's family recipe called "Crazy Cake" that I made this weekend for hubby's bday! Only our recipe is 1/2 of yours, and we don't mix it in a separate bowl. Instead, we mix the dry ingredients directly in a 9x9 pan (no greasing) and then add the wet. Top with choc chips/nuts right before baking if not frosting. We use a "Never Fail Icing" that's chocolate - has sugar, evap milk, vanilla, butter, cocoa - very fudgy.

    -Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is exactly the same cake and frosting I have been using for years. My very favorite. I haven't made it lately, but seeing yours makes me think I should make one soon. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment...I just love hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails